Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E experts I need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 4L60E experts I need help!!!

I've been having this problem for awhile, and it finally resulted in the recent death of my motor. At the drag strip I'm having a problem shifting out of 2nd into 3rd on my A4.

My trans tables are fine...I set the paramaters extremely low to eliminate that possibility (set the speed to shift into 3rd at 70km/h and 6000rpm) and at 6600rpm the car was doing 124km/h and still not shifting. What's worse is I would come off the pedal and go back on, and it still refused to shift.

Now, when I normally drive around and punch it getting onto the highway and such the car never seemed to have a problem shifting gears...it was only while at the track. AND usually, the first run would be fine, it would always crap out after the 1st run (even if the next run was 1-2 hours later)

I've also set the speedometer to compensate for the slicks (and I know the speedo is correct because I put the slicks on and drive up and watch the speedo and the gps, and they are accurate)

Trans was rebuilt last year, and a corvette servo was installed for 1-2 shifts.

What could possibly cause this issue? I need to figure this out, I'm in the middle of dropping in a new motor, and I don't want to grenade another...I would say that I am somewhere between 250-270rwhp with my previous setup...and I should now be around 270-300rwhp with the new setup going in....cant afford to go through this next engine....
Old 10-26-2010, 09:54 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Tear the trans down while the engine is out.
Upgrade the 3-4 clutch at least. Get the 3-4 clutch clearance, servo travel, servo release hole and 3rd feed hole correct. Just to name a few things.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you use the thin steels you can stack 8 stock high energy clutches inthe drum which will suffice for your needs. with the stock snapring my installed clearnace is usually around .018 which will feel tight ut will break into around .030. the back of the servo act s as the acumualtor for 3rd gear the less travel it has the faster 3rd can engage, however the super servo for the most part eliminates the 3rd accumualator. An older trick was to remove the #7 checkball and capsule and plug it with a cup plug from the park pawl of the 41te chrys;er trans however this mod can cause 3-4 burnup on a 4-2 downshift exspecially with tight clearnce due to the servo actually pushing 3rd oil back into the the 3-4 clutch. I usually punch my 3rd feed out to about .110 with my clearance that etnds to work good for me. As far as tuning stuff I have no IDEA lol
Old 10-26-2010, 11:59 PM
TECH Regular

alright...that stuff went waayyyyy over my head...looks like I got some reading to do.

The trans was just rebuilt last summer...the guy told me he would use some stronger bands, but I am not sure what he grabbed or used. I should mention I have a 3200 TCI stall in, as well as a 1-2 vette servo.

The car drives normally on the roads...hell, Im pretty sure it is normal on the regular tires...I swear I only have this problem with the ET streets on...but I can't see any tuning issues...I have all 3 tables modified RPM/speed/and that speed chart thing...all have the same numbers in them...speedo has been properly calibrated...so I want to say it is mechanically related...but why only with slicks on?....I can hammer a 3-1 downshift or a 4-2 downshift daily while driving and have no issues....but at the track with slicks I can't get out of 2nd after the 1st run...boggles my mind....and the trans would already be warm from the drive up!!

Some people have suggested the transgo HD shift kit to me to solve the problem on other forums...but would something like that take care of this issue? I don't want to randomly just start spending money if I can't find the culprit...
Old 11-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im having the same issue. except im running street tires at the track. any insight would help. it was just rebuilt last week, ran at the unleashed event in g-ville this weekend just to bust the output shaft on my third run. but before that it still wouldnt shift.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Regular

Are u guys aware that the shift rpm and speed must match fairly close or it will not shift. Ie. I put a stall in mine and it raise my rpm to mph by 600 and that was enough to prevent the shift. Lowering the tune mph to make it shift sooner made it worse. Lowering the rpm shift point was the fix