Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Story with 4l60e

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My Story with 4l60e

I have been reading and searching a lot on this forum. And i am familiar with most 4l60e defects. But ME..I am just unlucky.
My 4l60e First went out on me few months ago. I had already anticipated that so i had the TCI pro built ready for it. I rebuilt my gearbox fully. Car drove great for like 2 weeks. Then my band and 3rd gear clutches were burnt. We thought this happened because of a few races and abuses i've done to the car. So we rebuilt it again, Using Born Warner Band, and Z-pack clutches. Another 2 weeks later, same problem happened. I changed the sun-shell, and the band and the clutches. And this time, i removed the TCI-shift Boss from my car. Thinking it might have been causing a trouble. I also changed the Gearbox Housing, Valve body, and everything that might cause an oil failure or any other kind of failure. In other words I replaced my whole gearbox, got a used one, and rebuilt it and put it on the car. This time I drove the car for about 4 hours. And same problem comes. The car runs 1st gear, and doesn't shifts unless i rev it higher than 3K and when it shifts, it immediately skips 2nd gear, and shifts to 3rd gear. I removed my gearbox today, and found the Band slightly burnt, and the 3rd gear disks not in the same condition they were. Here is a pic of my band.

The band is being installed in the right way, and so is everything else. This is not the first 4l60e this shop rebuilds. So blaming the mechanic is out of question.
anyone faced this problem before ? What could the reason be ? My LS1 is stock, and high torque cant be it.
Help me, and help my pocket.

Last edited by ramzisleiman; 11-09-2010 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Adding a pic
Old 11-09-2010, 11:26 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ramzisleiman
I have been reading and searching a lot on this forum. And i am familiar with most 4l60e defects. But ME..I am just unlucky.
My 4l60e First went out on me few months ago. I had already anticipated that so i had the TCI pro built ready for it. I rebuilt my gearbox fully. Car drove great for like 2 weeks. Then my band and 3rd gear clutches were burnt. We thought this happened because of a few races and abuses i've done to the car. So we rebuilt it again, Using Born Warner Band, and Z-pack clutches. Another 2 weeks later, same problem happened. I changed the sun-shell, and the band and the clutches. And this time, i removed the TCI-shift Boss from my car. Thinking it might have been causing a trouble. I also changed the Gearbox Housing, Valve body, and everything that might cause an oil failure or any other kind of failure. In other words I replaced my whole gearbox, got a used one, and rebuilt it and put it on the car. This time I drove the car for about 4 hours. And same problem comes. The car runs 1st gear, and doesn't shifts unless i rev it higher than 3K and when it shifts, it immediately skips 2nd gear, and shifts to 3rd gear. I removed my gearbox today, and found the Band slightly burnt, and the 3rd gear disks not in the same condition they were. Here is a pic of my band.
[IMG][/IMG]
The band is being installed in the right way, and so is everything else. This is not the first 4l60e this shop rebuilds. So blaming the mechanic is out of question.
anyone faced this problem before ? What could the reason be ? My LS1 is stock, and high torque cant be it.
Help me, and help my pocket.

Bands might burn, but chunks don't flake off after four hours. They reused the old band. (enough to blame the rebuilder)
Usually water will cause clutch and band material to delaminate like that.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No one used old band! Always new! Sorry if I misleaded u in my writing
Old 11-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ramzisleiman
No one used old band! Always new! Sorry if I misleaded u in my writing
Did you watch the entire build?
That band does not have four hours drive time on it.

New, old, whatever, if your clutches looked like that as well then all the frictions used in that build got wet or exposed to some kind of solvent at some point.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:15 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With a failure in that short of time I would suspect either an internal leak cause by a bad seal or gasket, bad solenoid, pump, computer, and so on. I would go completely through the unit and have the builder get a gauge on it this time around to see if a problem can be seen. Your issue might be a loss of pressure some where. Vince
Old 11-10-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what was your line pressure?