Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny slipping? not sure

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny slipping? not sure

I have only had the chance to drive my car for about 600 miles. The shifts are really firm when it's cold. When it warms up they soften up a little bit. As far as mods done to it all I know for sure is that it has a deep tranny pan and was supposedly a dyno car. I would imagine it has some kind of shift kit and/or vett servo. No codes but I don't know what has been tuned out bc when my motor blew it only threw one code I don't know if tranny codes can be tuned out the same way. It has firm up-shifts and normal down-shifts, and will go right into any gear.
Now the problem:
It's only happened 2 times since I have had it. When under load, going up a hill at around 50mph, and I start to slow down to the point where the tranny will have to down-shift. When it does and I get back on the throttle It will rev up to about 3500 to 4000 rpm before I can feel it start accelerating again then it will go into 4th like nothing happened. The problem is almost impossible to recreate. Any ideas? computer related? sticky servo?
Old 11-12-2010, 11:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

maybe it has a 3500-4000 range stall torque convertor(that you're not aware of) and you still haven't driven it enough(according to your post,it's a relatively 'new' car for you) to learn/feel/experience all its' characteristics.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any sure fire way to find out if it has a stall? It can chirp 1-2 at around half throttle so I was thinking slipping can't be too likely. I'm swapping out the motor (hydrolocked) later this month.. hopefully. So I'll find out eventually.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

any stall in that range would have to have a 'body' diameter much smaller than the OEMs' 11-12" diameter