Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

neutral safefty and gear selector switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default neutral safefty and gear selector switch

So I started looking into all the parts that are in my garage. The plan is to install a 4.8 Vortec into a 1987 Brougham.
I have a 4L60E 4wd transmission that came with the engine and a 4L60E 2wd transmission that I bought. BOth are 1999. 2WD comes from a Camaro

The 4wd transmission has what I found to be a gear selector switch mounted onto the shaft where the linkage goes to select the gears. The 2wd does not ?

Is it ok for the 2wd not to have the gear selector and neutral safety switch? Or is it missing it?

The computer does not need to know into what gear it is with a 2wd transmission?

THanks
Old 11-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

The 2wd trans never had it, they are mounted on the shifter.
There are a few tables in the tune that reference park, neutral, drive. Without it the engine might just idle up and down slightly, when coming to a stop, etc.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Launching!

Thanks Jays,

So it is nothing critical but I am better off swapping the switch from the 4wd to the 2wd? I think this involves dropping the pans and changing gear selector shaft.

Now that I think of it the Brougham should have a switch on the shifter too. Otherwise it wouldn't know if it is in park or neutral in order to start. Hmmm, I will have to check an electrical schematic of the car.

Sorry for the newbie questions but it is kind of the first time I get involved in the electrical part of the car
Old 11-17-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

Im doing a ls1/4l60e swap into a mustang coupe. Im using a b&m prostick which will not have any thing but a neutral safety switch. Im using an after market harness that doesn't have any thing that connects from the shifter to the computer. My harness is specificly for an ls1 with 4l60e though. What problems will I have with out the gear selector switch on the shifter?

Quick Reply: neutral safefty and gear selector switch