Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E Shift Kit or NO?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 4L60E Shift Kit or NO?

Hey Everyone, so I had my 60E rebuilt in my 99' Silverado this past Feb. I bought it like that after it broke the sunshell. My dad works at a GM Dealer and one of the trans guys there rebuilt it for me at a very good price. So far, I have been very pleased with it after 15K miles since rebuild. It shifts great! I had him install some goodies in it to help prolong its life since I do tow somewhat often with it. Here is a list:

Full rebuild kit that he recommended (seal gaskets etc.)
Beast sunshell
Wide Red Alto 2-4 Band with hard anchor (new reverse input drum)
Corvette Servo for 1-2 shift (I believe)
Sonnax Super Hold 4th gear servo
Z-pak 3-4 clutches
Updated aluminum accumulator pistons (I think that is correct)

I was going to have him install a Transgo shift kit but he said I don't really need to because I have the tow/haul mode which increases line pressure and shift points. So I took his word for it since he is really a good builder but doesn't really get into high performance rebuilds. However, now I notice the shifts are not quite as firm as before. They were really firm because of the upgraded servos but now have loosened a bit I think once everything "broke in". It still shifts great but not really firm like it first did.

SO, will it be ok to add a shift kit now? If I do, is it safe to use the tow/haul mode afterwards? When I do have tow/haul mode it DOES shift really firm so I don't know if I will break the band anchor if I have tow/haul on with a shift kit. Or should I just leave it the way it is? Thanks.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are happy with the shifts in the T&H mode then why bother? With the way your truck is set up it is a bonus because you can have the best of both worlds with a push of the button. If the shifts are good in T&H with a load I would probably leave it alone.

The shift kit is going to firm up shifts and increase max line pressure. If this is not a performance vehicle then a trans-go JR kit will be just fine for what you are doing. This is the one found in an orange box. The hd2 kit is more performance orientated and to be honest it has its flaws. It is much more involved to install and is probably over kill for what you do with this truck.

As far as breaking the band I have seen very few of those bands break and I think you will be fine in any direction you choose to go with it.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Vince, appreciate the info. Like I said, he does great rebuilds for stock applications but doesn't venture much into HD or high performance. In fact, this is the first time he ever put in a wider 2-4 band and anything but stock frictions for the 3-4 clutches, and also the upgraded 4th gear servo. But I will say he was very impressed with the firmer shifts.

I was just wondering for everyday use where I don't have the T/H mode on if a shift kit would prolong the life. I will just leave it the way it is but I'm going to add a bigger trans cooler in the spring. I guess if I smoke this trans in the near future it will be time for an HD 6.0 or Duramax

Thanks again and good luck on your new job Vince!

Quick Reply: 4L60E Shift Kit or NO?