Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lock up and gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 01:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lock up and gas mileage

Can locking up/shifting to early cruising around town decrease gas mileage? I recently had some lock up issues fixed so that my converter is actually locking up when it is supposed to and I've noticed a decrease in gas mileage. It locks up at 40 MPH around town. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:01 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

It can. Headers tend to move the engine efficiency higher up in the rpm range.
I don't know how you can lock up a 9.5" billet converter up at such a low mph. If I lock mine up in third at 40 mph I get a lot of drivetrain chatter, like driving a manual trans in 5th going 35.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ask your tuner to eliminate third gear lockup and raise minimum fourth gear lockup a bit for ya (or DIY if you are a DIY tuner). If your part throttle tables are stock, you can ask him to bump the 1-2 2-3 at light throttle too; it shifts way too early with a stall through those first gears.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. Unfortunately, my tuner is 7 hours away. If I was going to pay another tuner here locally to just change the shift points, I might as well just buy HP Tuners and do it myself. That way I can make any other changes I need to in the future too. Thanks for the help. I'll be back on here reading up on it when I get my HP Tuners .
Old 01-30-2011, 09:05 PM
FormerVendor

If you buy HPTuner's from me, when you get it and pull your file, if you email it to me I'll go through and setup the TCC lockup and part throttle shifts for you on the trans side. You can tweak from there all day long if it's not quite where you want it, but it will be very close to what you are looking for.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

That sounds great. Do you sale the non professional version though? 'Cause I don't need the extra features of the professional one.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:50 PM
FormerVendor

I do, but you do need the Pro version to log wideband. IDK why that's the "Pro" version but that's what they called it. If you head over to their forum, you find a bunch of people that bought the standard, regretted it, and later re-sold it so that they could buy a Pro interface. The Pro also does black-box logging. That means that you can use just the cable by itself in your car to datalog. It's much easier running down the dragstrip with just a cable instead of the cable and laptop.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:32 PM
TECH Regular

That's something I'm going to need to think about then. But, whichever I decide to get I'll be sure to get it from you. Thanks for the help.