Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH350 Problems (Yes, I searched!), Please READ!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TH350 Problems (Yes, I searched!), Please READ!

I am running a th350 that sat for 4-5 years in a shed (converter/yoke installed). The dipstick tube was open, but there was fluid in there so while there was debris in there nothing got too deep into the trans. There was signs that some dirt dobbers had tried building in the cooler lines and the vent (did my best to clean these out).

Fast forward to now. I filled the trans up and checked the fluid with it running. Car runs hard and it shifts normally. Twice now however it has failed to engage gears after being warmed up/shut off/then restarted. I have had to rev the motor up a bit in drive for it to engage a gear, after that the trans seems to function normally. (Both times this has happened have been after taking the car for a ride, coming home and shutting it off in the driveway then a few minutes later hoping in to put it in the garage).

The trans does have a few leaks that I am taking care of right now, the output shaft seal is leaking (not real shocking since it sat for so long), the speedo bullet has a leak around the o-ring, and the pan gasket is also leaking a bit. I pulled the pan/filter/bullet/output seal last night and am plan to replace. I did notice a decent amount of debris in the pan, but given the circumstances it is not a surprise. The fluid did not smell burned at all and besides the debris looked perfect (then again it only has 10-15 miles on it).

My only ideas at this point are:
1- The trans is simply getting low on fluid between warming up and loosing fluid. Not sure if this really makes sense, but in my head it seems like reving it up a bit is getting enough fluid sucked in to engage the trans.

2- The vent tube is clogged resulting in these leaks and as the trans becomes hotter the pressure does not allow the pickup to get fluid??? (Wild guess)

3- The trans is simply shot and I should throw it off a bridge?

Cliffnotes: After warming up th350 requires a little rev in "3rd/drive" to engage, after that point the trans functions normally.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

The strange part is that this NEVER happens when it is cold, always works perfect, and only randomly happens when warm.

Will a th350 fail to engage when warm if it is a little low on fluid?
Old 03-22-2011, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the filter have a bunch of crap on it? It almost sounds like the trans is getting what I would called air bombed. Basically it gets air pockets in the system and it wont move. A little rev purges it and all is normal. I'm guessing this is the case or you have an issue with the filter being plugged or collapsed depending on what style is being used with this combo. Seal it up and make sure its full and see what happens. Vince
Old 03-22-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Vince B
Did the filter have a bunch of crap on it? It almost sounds like the trans is getting what I would called air bombed. Basically it gets air pockets in the system and it wont move. A little rev purges it and all is normal. I'm guessing this is the case or you have an issue with the filter being plugged or collapsed depending on what style is being used with this combo. Seal it up and make sure its full and see what happens. Vince
Air bombed sounds a lot like what I'd suspect. Is this due to my multiple leaks? I am leaking at the tailshaft seal, the speedo bullet, and the pan itself. I am replacing all the seals/gaskets.

There was quite a bit of debris in the pan, but then again it was left partially outside in a shed for a couple of years so this is not surprising. The filter had debris on it, but didn't looked clogged, just a lot in the pan.

I guess I'll just bolt it all up and see what happens but if you wouldn't mind explaining how the air bombing occurs I'd appreciate it!
Old 03-23-2011, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Basically what I'm saying is there are air pockets in the hydraulic system.

Quick Reply: TH350 Problems (Yes, I searched!), Please READ!