Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

did i just kill my trans?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011 | 01:28 AM
TECH Regular

Default did i just kill my trans?

well tonight I was merging onto the interstate and at the end of the in-ramp my car suddenly free revved for a second so I let off. it grabbed back into gear and I continued. a few minutes later I realized I was slowing down and my rpms were climbing. I slowed down to where I could manually downshift to second and found he nearest gas station. now here's my concern: I just put in an external trans cooler, and apparently a hose clamp let go and it started leaking because I ended up having to put 2 quarts of fluid in it to get it back up to normal level. but even then only 1st and second. it feels like it tries to go into 3rd but just not positive engagement. I did some quick searching and have seen some common issues with this, so yes my speedo still works, and works correctly. I'm hoping it may hav just kicked itself into limp mode, or the 2-3 shift solenoid just went out. because even before all of this at WOT the 2-3 shift would bounce off the rev limiter about 3 times before shifting. or is it more likely that I'm looking at burnt clutch packs?
Old 05-08-2011 | 12:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor
15 Year Member

Sounds like you fried the 3-4 clutch set

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-08-2011 | 01:46 PM
TECH Regular

yeah I just confirmed it. found the way to manually test it and still no 3rd. looks like I get to rebuild another 4l60. this sucks I was hoping this trans would hold out until I was ready to do the 6 speed swap. i hate autos