Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Arm Relocation with 4l80e

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torque Arm Relocation with 4l80e

Hey everyone. I currently have a 98 v6 Camaro that I swapped in an entire ls1/4l60e powertrain from a 01 WS6. Along the way, I've added a bunch of goodies which can be seen here:

http://www.j-body.org/members/mrpute/cars/5/

As of current, the car is running awesome with the exception of the transmission. I'm getting a really nasty 2-3 shift flare and engage lag that I can't tune out and it's REALLY taking the fun out of the car. I've got a thread open on HPTuners' forum about the problem with logs and my current tune files:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34658

From what it looks like, my 103,000 mile transmission is definitely giving up the ghost, which sucks but I'm honestly not surprised. With that, I've turned to looking at alternatives.

One that really sticks out to me is the 4l80e swap. I like the fact that the stock unit can handle 450ft/lbs of torque, which is perfect for the power I'm putting down. I don't ever expect to put more into the engine of this car, so I'm not wanting to consider building the 4l60e. TH350 and TH400 swaps are cool and stout, but I think I'll really miss overdrive with the 3.80 gears that are in my 9". This car is an all-around street/strip car, so I need to keep it tame.

If you look at my mod list, you'll see that I have a UMI Performance torque arm relocation trans crossmember and a non-adjustable torque arm made by the same manufacturer. I'd like to hang onto the torque arm because it's perfect for my Quick Performance 9" rear that has adjustable heim joints on the torque arm mount. Installing a tunnel mount adjustable torque arm on that would have disastrous consequences due to the amount of slop in having both components adjustable.

Onto my question. From what I'm reading, to adapt the tail shaft of certain 4l80e transmissions, there's been talk of swapping out TH400 tail shaft housings. Since I'm dead set on having the torque arm I have, do I have the ability to relocate the torque arm to the trans crossmember like I've already done for my 4l60e? Will the UMI Performance relocation crossmember for the TH400 work for my specific configuration?

This is really the only hangup I have in pulling the trigger on this. Sorry for the long post, but I really had to setup why I specifically need to hang onto the relocation crossmember.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:38 AM
On The Tree

I found it!!!

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/index.c...&productid=336
Old 04-11-2016, 07:18 AM

Hey if your interested in selling that relocation bracket from the 4l60 I'll buy. Just give me a price and a quote to ship it to 14218

Quick Reply: Torque Arm Relocation with 4l80e