Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this sound like a high price?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does this sound like a high price?

I just got quoted $550 to swap an output shaft in my trannys i have.

My 4x4 th350 went out. I found a great deal on a th350 2wd unit i couldnt pass up. Now from my knowledge i can just swap the output shafts. Tranny has to come apart but its just swapping the part.

Now rebuild kits are 150 from b&m. so that leaves 400 in labor? thing is im not even asking for a rebuild the tranny got is rebuilt with shift kits and everything in it. they want to charge 550 cause they might rip a bunch of gaskets? does that sound stupid? i thought u could get a th350 rebuilt from scratch for like 300 with no hard parts.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

You get what you pay for , I have been rebuilding for about 30 years and can change a shaft out in about 30 minutes .But after thats done that transmission becomes my unit if there's a problem . You didn't say who is suppling parts , I assume the shop is . If you don't have another shaft then the other trans has to be dissasembled as well . Book time to do all that is probably 4 to 6 hours plus gaskets and seals . Then you will expect them to give you some type of warranty . Even if they don't and there is a problem you will want it fixed or want to bad mouth them for it so either pay their price or keep shoping around .

After reading my response I noticed that I didn't answer your question fully . Yes I think $550.00 is high , I would price that at around $200.00 plus gaskets if I had to tear down both units . You will need at least a pump gasket and o-ring if the two wheel drive unit is a fresh rebuild !!

Last edited by big wally 55; 07-19-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:04 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Ill agree 550 is a little high yes, But also depends on if you expect themto stand behind it. You see they are opening up a trans they really know nothing about. You have been told its a good working trans with no issues but in reality you nor themreally know that. Like wally I wuld likely do it for under 200 but I would also let you know if it works it works if not well dont come cryin to me if you know what I mean. At 550 I would say if there is a problem bring it back as at 550 i would go through and check everything while i was in there.
Frank

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-20-2011, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok thats what i figured. i can see what ur saying customers bitching and stuff. i understand that.. 550 sounds like a complete rebuild to me so why did i even buy this other tranny just to swap a shaft. i shoulda just gave them my tranny in the first place for 550. thanks for the response. i figured a couple seals might be in order but 550.. baffled me thanks guys