Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e Problems please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 4l80e Problems please help

I have a '99, chevy 2500 pu 4x4, 5.7 with a 4l80e. I am having a take off issue / and a shift issue, When I take off from a stop the truck will hesitate almost like your trying to take off with the e-brake engaged,you can hear the engine trying to go and gaining rpm but it does not want to move , only lasts for a second or 2 then will go to a normal acceleration with a shutter. if you hit the gas just right you can barley feel it, at highway speeds it does not seem to know what gear it wants to be in, it will go into 3rd from everdrive when the pettel is barley pressed then may go back to OD and the lock up seems to engage and disengage at will . Any Ideas im not really wanting to have the trans rebuilt if its a sensor
Please help
thanks
Old 08-02-2011, 08:33 AM
Staging Lane

It is very hard to diagnose a symptom over the web. It could easily be that you have an engine misfire that is causing all of your symptoms for instance.

Take it to a reputable shop and have a thorough diagnosis done and get back to us with their findings before authorizing the work.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:58 PM

Default 4l80e

i plan on taking it to a shop as soon as i can. not thinking a miss fire though it runs through the gears fine on city driving except for the take off. but high way its like a 4l60e that cannot decide if it wants to lock up the converter or not. As far as the missfire it does not through a engine code. acceleration is normal and fine as can be from a small block truck pushing through a 4l80e. I have been told that the tps sensor can cause the issue but the delay does nto happen in reverse only drive and its not all the time either the past few days it has been hit and miss more so when the truck warms up. All I can say is frustrating ............. I plan on taking it to a tranny shop this week. any other advise is greatly appreciated
Old 08-05-2011, 06:07 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is possible that the forward clutches are worn and that is causing the issue. How many miles are on it? What is the fluid condition... is it burnt?

g
Old 08-13-2011, 10:34 AM

the truck has 121xxx on it looks nice and pind smells good not burnt so im at a loss monday its going to the tranny shop
Old 08-16-2011, 07:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are many components that can fail that will cause symptoms but will not cause the fluid to burn. Keep us in the loop once you get a diagnosis.

g
Old 08-20-2011, 12:00 AM

Default update.......

So I went to the tranny shop today, they would not tell me what part was bad but was told it needed to be rebuilt. I do not know trannys very well but anything else on a car I’m quite comfortable with. With that being said. Here is a bit more detailed description and what else my own trouble shooting has accomplished. The "hesitation"/ take off issue is the truck not down shifting into first when I slow or stop. rather when I do take off it then downshifts from 2nd into 1st gear and goes through the gears just fine. First to Second shift solenoid ? or crap in the valve body ? I can’t see the tranny needing a rebuild if it shifts otherwise normal. as for the highway issues the lock up on the converter is a bit touchy but I can live with it being like that if I can fix the other issue. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:23 PM

Default Fixed

The issue has been resolved, I took it to another tranny shop sugested by a friend, the issue was the 1-2 and 3-4 shift sylonid, my trouble shooting was off the truck was actually shifting from od to third then back on the highway,
as for the take off it would not shift down to first. but again none the less its resolved and for 125.00 so im happy thanks for the advise .

Quick Reply: 4l80e Problems please help