Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd gear issue-4L60e

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 09:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2nd gear issue-4L60e

I'm having problems with my 2nd gear that appear to be off and on symptoms, just looking to get some feedback.

-1999 Z28
-mid 230's duration cam
-yank py3600 converter
-3.73 gears

Transmission has over 170,000 miles on it and has been performing flawlessly, I don't race the car at the track and have just cruised it to work the last 50,000 miles.

Problem started last week, left work and my second gear felt like it lagged when the trans shifted from 1-2 but it grabbed and held fine. Few days later and now when I leave my garage In the evening the car shifts fine, 1-4 and lockup, however by the time I get close to work 1st gear hangs out to almost 3500rpm and then it feels like the trans skips second all together. I still have all other gears but if I manually put it in second it just feels like I have a 5k converter in the car but eventually goes..

My question is could this just be a valve body/solenoid problem or am I on borrowed time with this trans. I'd like it to last me another 2 months if possible since I'm about to buy a new vehicle.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:52 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's possible that a shift solenoid has failed, however the pcm would have turned the SES lamp on and it would go into limp in mode. It sounds like there's an issue with the servo.

If you could get a scanner on it and see whats going on that would be your best bet.

g