Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual to auto questions..

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual to auto questions..

I am not sure if I want to go 4l80 or 4l60, answering some of these questions may help me decide and I need to know so I can start gathering parts.

1. Do I need a new xmember? if so.. will a 4l60 xmember from an fbody fit a 4l80e if i go that route?

2. Do I need a new driveshaft?

3. Computer/Tuning? Can an auto trans harness hook up to my computer/main harness and run fine? do I need an auto cars PCM? would you run a transmission standalone? what harness's from what vehicles fit the camaro without extensive re-wiring?

4. as far as bolting up, just pull out my pilot bearing and get a flywheel/TC?

5. Center console/shifter.. I would assume I would just get an auto console with the shift intact then get the linkage to go from that to the trans?

6. do fbody's have a stock trans cooler anywhere? would an aftermarket b/m one be sufficient enough to cool one?

7. pedals, obv I can remove my master cyl/resoveroir and pedal.. is the clutch pedal attached to brake pedal? or can i simply remove clutch pedal and be ok, if not i guess just buy auto pedals?

8. what are some power ratings for stock 60's and 80's, will i lose power running an 80 if im not doing a monster build?

thanks in advance, ill be posting in this thread as the swap goes on.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. yes
2. yes
3. don' know...didn't do that myself
4. yes
5. could do that
6. built into radiator for autos
7. either way - changed pedals myself
8. no idea - went TH400
Old 10-31-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer number 3, a segment swap on the stock pcm to a auto file will allow it to control the trans. Just need an adapter harness and wire it into the pcm.