Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E New swap..NO SHIFT!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 10:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E New swap..NO SHIFT!

To start out...I have been doing quite a bit of researching on this.
A bit of hx....
I dropped an 01 5.3 vortec w/ an 01 4l60E trans into my 76 toyota land cruiser. This has been a 2 year project that Im just finishing NOW. The trans wan NOT the original trans for this motor. I had it re built and a new output shaft installed MORE than 2 years ago by a fairly reputable builder. So I DO TRUST that he knew what he was doing. The trans was mated to the motor around that time. It was a new TC and I pre filled it before I stabbed it. As I recall the TC install, it was fairly un eventful. I had a bit of difficulty mating the motor to the trans and I STOPPED and re checked the TC. I DID NOT try and force anything into place. I re positioned the TC and it seemed to go into place as I was then able to mate the motor to the trans, and I was able to tighten down the TC bolts without difficulty. It has essentially sat un disturbed on the motor till last night....
Got the motor running last week and had a goal of taking her out for her FIRST DRIVE...
Filled the trans fluid sometime last week with about 6 qts initially (reading the manual was all that called for) tried to put it in gear...NOTHING...Checked the fluids...nothing registering on the dip stick! I thought..."okay...just needs more fluids...DUH it was dry." Added in total (beyond what was in the TC which as I recall it was around 3 qts) about 11 qts. Hopped back in the rig after verifying the fluids were full. Still NO ENGAGEMENT AT ALL. However, in one post someone asked if there was a grinding noise going into PARK...I DO HAVE a griding noise going into park! This to me seems as if it might be significant??? As far as the pump working or not (as I have read that this would be the MOST COMMON item to look at) I have NOT pulled the line as of yet, but there was a leak at the distal end of the line at the trans cooler in the back of the rig. With that being the case, I can at least assume that the pump IS WORKING to some degree.
BTW...I used a Howell wiring harness, without emissions FOR the 4L60E trans and an EZ wire chassi harness. The wiring plug is appropriately seated. I used a Lokar shifter with the linkage links. Is there ANYTHING, ANYONE can help with on this??? For some reason, I just think its something simple. Everything is basically new, and I was extremely careful installing the TC and mating the trans to the motor.
Anything in the wiring that would cause the trans NOT to run via the ECU?
Is there ANY throw adjustment on the trans itself for the shifting off of the unput rod? If its grinding going into park and park DOES SEEM to be a bit difficult to set (I have to use a bit of effort to secure it) would that indicate something is TRYING to work?

I am in desperate need of help from experts!!!

Thanks in advance.

Keith (Reno, NV)
Old 11-28-2011, 06:06 AM

Keith you really need to type your posts in paragraphs to make it a little easier to read and comprehend!!! As you stated pulling a cooler line will verify if you have pump pressure but with what you said with the leak it seems that you have some sort of pump pressure. However with the grinding noise going into park I'm a little concerned. This tells me that for some reason something behind the trans is not connected. Not sure if this is a 4x4 or 2wd. If this is a 4wd then I would question if the transfer case is in gear or in neutral. Also if you have both of the drive shafts installed depending on which transfer case your using.

In some cases if all of this is connected and working properly then a grinding noise going into park is still possible. One thing is if the shifter cable is out of adjustment or the wheels are off the ground you could have this same issue. In your case it seems like something is not connected and you might have a linkage issue.The computer and wiring will not cause the trans to not allow the vehicle to move at all. You should still have forward and reverse. You could have an issue with wrong gear starts but that's a whole different conversation. I hope this info gives you some things to look at. Good luck. Vince
Old 11-28-2011, 07:17 AM
Teching In

Vince,
Thanks for the reply and sorry about the hasty thread posting!
Just to update... It is an issue w/ the transfer case.
It will go in to appropropriate shifting on the transmission when my first t case (np203) is in low gear, I discovered. It's when I shift the case into high gear, I lose the transmission. So I now have to figure out why the case is not shifting into high.
Anyway, thanks agin for the response. I'm just grateful that it wasn't the trans.
I started to think if I had done something wrong when mating it up.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:08 PM

No problem and good to hear your on the right track. BTW whats with the user name and your in Reno? Are you from the windy city?
Old 11-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Vince B
No problem and good to hear your on the right track. BTW whats with the user name and your in Reno? Are you from the windy city?

Thanks for the input! This build has been going on for 2 years now, and the last details have been the hardest of the whole build for chrissakes!!
Lol... Yeah. I'm a chicago boy born and raised. Came out to reno snow boarding, decided to apply to school here and went and met my wife... Here we are.
Chicago is still home, but I love it out west and will never move back!
Old 12-13-2015, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Not sure how old this thread is. Hoping that I can get a reply... I have a 94 Silverado with the same issue. New trans torque converter and a newer used transfer case.any help would be great

Quick Reply: 4L60E New swap..NO SHIFT!