Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E Neutral safety switch connectors

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L80E Neutral safety switch connectors

The tranny that came with my swap the connectors wouldn't come apart so the guy cut the harness. I cannot get them apart, seems like they are welded together. I talked to GM today and they told me its a common issue and you need to replace the switch, and both pigtails, and gave me a quote of $251 in parts. I'm okay with buying a new switch, but does anyone know of a place to buy new connectors or used ones that is not $112 and $45
Old 01-04-2012, 10:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

4L60/80 parts are the same.

http://www.electricaladvantage.net/4l60e4l80emlps.aspx

The harness repair kit is listed on that same page, below the PRNDL switch. Total for all parts a LOT less then your quote. Hope this helps
The following users liked this post:
strutaeng (02-01-2023)
Old 01-05-2012, 05:30 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks, I nearly choked when they gave me the quote.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Okay, I have overcome that hurdle in the build. I destroyed the range/neutral switch to save the connectors, but I have one small issue. The transmission came from a 2001, but my wire harness is out of a 99 as well as my pcm. Now, I have the two diagrams, but my question is do I need to have the second 7 pin connector hooked up running it as a standalone? There are no connections to the ecu, i believe it is only for starting and apparently reverse lights. Here are the two connectors, I already traced the four pin connector wires to the ecu, just wondering what to do with the second connector?

Old 01-15-2012, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

The connectors are glued into the switch, so dont feel bad

Luckily they're only needed on trucks, so cars and most swaps dont reuse them. Your PCM wants a P/neutral signal, so hook that to your shifter. Rest can be ignored

Swap harness will only have provisions for the P/neutral switch
Old 02-14-2018, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I know, I'm bumping an old thread. But I've been trying to track down all the connector parts to build a harness from scratch (even tho I don't plan to at the moment) and I saw this post. I wondered why the plug I have seemed to have a coating of some type on it. Almost looks like dried CA glue. This makes a lot more sense.

Also, Thanks, Pocket. Your thread on connector cross references on 3rdgen was helpful in getting me started.

Jay
Old 02-14-2018, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

The glue in the '94-'03 Lucas neutral safety switches leaks out into the connectors from catalytic converter heat. The only upside to running this NSS is the high amp starter solenoid contacts.

I much rather have the '04 & up "Delphi" NSS! You just have to wire in a relay for the solenoid load (If this is a swap vehicle or a GMT400 truck).

In fact......If you don't have the engine in a '94-'08 GM truck or a '97-'05 Corvette....You don't need the trans mounted NSS. Let your shifter handle that if possible!
Old 02-14-2018, 09:14 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

what I do is, goto junkyard and cut the wires. So you remove the entire neutral switch with plugs still inside it.

then simply re-wire it to your harness when ready. This way no fooling with glue.

figured it out after destroying two ofthem trying to get those plugs out. I thought it was a fluke the first time, "what the hell is this ****?!" but when I noticed they all had it I realized I needed a new plan. lol
Old 02-15-2018, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by clinebarger
The glue in the '94-'03 Lucas neutral safety switches leaks out into the connectors from catalytic converter heat. The only upside to running this NSS is the high amp starter solenoid contacts.

I much rather have the '04 & up "Delphi" NSS! You just have to wire in a relay for the solenoid load (If this is a swap vehicle or a GMT400 truck).

In fact......If you don't have the engine in a '94-'08 GM truck or a '97-'05 Corvette....You don't need the trans mounted NSS. Let your shifter handle that if possible!
People with a column shifter or old floor shifter without a P/neutral or back up switch can still find benefit from the range switches for those two functions
Old 02-23-2018, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Default Connector issues

Or you can use a heat gun...warm up the connector until the glue softens then unplug n replug without breaking anything or rewiring.....
Originally Posted by kingtal0n
what I do is, goto junkyard and cut the wires. So you remove the entire neutral switch with plugs still inside it.
Originally Posted by kingtal0n
then simply re-wire it to your harness when ready. This way no fooling with glue.

figured it out after destroying two ofthem trying to get those plugs out. I thought it was a fluke the first time, "what the hell is this ****?!" but when I noticed they all had it I realized I needed a new plan. lol
Old 02-25-2018, 10:22 AM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruiser2cruiser
[left]Or you can use a heat gun...warm up the connector until the glue softens then unplug n replug without breaking anything or rewiring.....
Upside down in the filthy junkyard, surrounded by puddles of muck, oil, goop and mosquitoes. No wait, not even mosquitoes dare enter that place. A scraggly bird hobbles across my path every so often. I hear roosters behind a huge wall nearby.

I'm not carrying an electrical, battery powered heat gun into that place...

just cut the wires and run for yer life
Old 02-27-2018, 01:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PSI GUY
The tranny that came with my swap the connectors wouldn't come apart so the guy cut the harness. I cannot get them apart, seems like they are welded together. I talked to GM today and they told me its a common issue and you need to replace the switch, and both pigtails, and gave me a quote of $251 in parts. I'm okay with buying a new switch, but does anyone know of a place to buy new connectors or used ones that is not $112 and $45

I actually bought a switch and the pigtail ( I only bought one that has the reverse lights in it as that was all I needed it for in my application ) , off eBay and they worked just fine. Connector came with a good pigtail of the wires and nice connectors to make the connections with and heat shrink.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:15 AM
Teching In

Well here I am bumping this old thread too. Does anyone know if can use just the backup light function of the switch. My swap harness doesn't even have connections for those wire packs. But I do need a backup light. Any suggestions?? Thanks much!
Old 05-02-2020, 07:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by TreDawg
Well here I am bumping this old thread too. Does anyone know if can use just the backup light function of the switch. My swap harness doesn't even have connections for those wire packs. But I do need a backup light. Any suggestions?? Thanks much!
Yes, you can use only the circuits that you need for your application.
Old 05-02-2020, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bbond105
Yes, you can use only the circuits that you need for your application.
Do you know which wire is 12V into the switch? I know which one is ground and power out to the backup light. But I can't tell which one is power in. I'm using the 7 prong connector. Thanks!
Old 05-02-2020, 05:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,204 Likes on 844 Posts

Scroll up to post #4.

Read the charts in that post...

Use the Light-Green wire (terminal F) and use the Black wire with the White tracer stripe (terminal D).
Old 09-21-2020, 08:04 AM

Default 1998 Chevy Silverado crank no start 4160e neutral safety switch

Originally Posted by Pocket
The connectors are glued into the switch, so dont feel bad

Luckily they're only needed on trucks, so cars and most swaps dont reuse them. Your PCM wants a P/neutral signal, so hook that to your shifter. Rest can be ignored

Swap harness will only have provisions for the P/neutral switch
Hi hi I was just reading your situation and I got very excited to hear that if I hook the signal to the shifter then the PCM would be getting the signal that it needs from the neutral safety switch but I'm baffled what exactly do you mean by hooking up to the shifter I made the mistake of cutting the wires and pulling the plug and not separating the wires so the wires would go back in the proper place that they were at before now I can't figure out which wires go where you have two plugs there is a yellow wire on both plugs I don't know which goes where and two green wires I'm not sure go where can you help me
Old 09-21-2020, 08:08 AM

Default 1998 Chevy Silverado crank no start 4160e neutral safety switch

What exactly do you mean shifting the signal to the shifter and the PCM should be able to get its signal that it's in park
Old 09-21-2020, 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitty Kitty
What exactly do you mean shifting the signal to the shifter and the PCM should be able to get its signal that it's in park
On FBody car this switch is on the shifter on trucks it is on the driver's side of the trans. So it will depend on the shifter as to which switch you would use.
Old 02-01-2023, 11:38 AM

I have a 03trailblazer that has the two plug now but the new transmission has only one plug can I just cut off the old one and splice the new one on it and it work

Quick Reply: 4L80E Neutral safety switch connectors