Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3600 stall question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 10:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3600 stall question

I have a 99 auto, My duals are going on in about 2 weeks, and when I get my tax return I'd like to get stall. I've read and whatched vids but the rpms confuse me.. I have 3.73s.
Now....Right now normal accelaration I think it shifts at like 2-2400 rpm or something close. If I get a 3600 stall, under normal accel. Does it shift at higher rpms than it does now?
If someone could explain the before and after rpms affects that would help me understand sooo much better.. stock normal accel vs stalled normal accel
stock wot vs stalled wot rpm differences.

Just wanna make sure this is the next right move. and with duals, a stall is going to make it that much louder because of higher rpms isn't it?

Thanks
Old 01-17-2012, 10:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

part throttle shift points will still shift at the same mph what changes is the rpms need to get moving to speed. lets say now that you accelerate with traffic normally at 1700 rpm well after the stall converter it will probably take you 21-2200 rpms to move around. the only time the shifts change is at wot. Before the stall it shifts at 6000 and drops to 4000 on the shift. well after the converter it will still shift around 6000 but now maay only drop to 4900 rpms
Old 01-17-2012, 10:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your rpms will slip up to 3000-3600 rpm or so at part throttle and kinda hang there until you reach the mph requirement to shift....it could hang a bit lower if you really feather the throttle, but if your sitting in at about 20% throttle, that's where you'll sit roughly.

Stock normal accel, vs stalled "normal" accel...the stalled will probably accelerate a tad faster as the motor will rev up freer due to the aftermarket converter being smaller and lighter than your stock one.

WOT acceleration with a stall will be noticeable faster if you can hook...you're going to get something called a "shift extension" with a stall, which basically will not let you fall below a certain RPM when you shift. For example, my current stall will not let me fall below 5000rpm at WOT when the car shifts...where as stock I think I would fall to 3500-4000rpm or so.
When I did my dyno pull in 3rd gear I went from about 105km/h (65mph) to about 180km/h (110mph) on the dyno, and my rpms started at 5000rpm and went to 6000rpm for the entire run (yup, 1000rpm to do all that lol)...at WOT this is perfect because it gives you all the power your motor makes up top all the time when your throttle is pinned.

now, all of the above can change based on the STR that you get for the stall as well. A higher STR (i.e stock is 1.2 I believe, so if you went with something like a 2.5STR or higher kinda thing) then the "tighter" your stall is going to be...this does two things...multiplies your torque at the input shaft by that STR factor which will give you great launches, and it will also let the converter slip less (not rev as high) to get the car to the speed you want it.

^^^At the same time, the higher the STR, the less efficient it is up top.

My stall is a 2.1STR and I think it is quite tight, although to move around town I am always sitting at around 20% throttle when accelerating (per hp tuners) and I do sit at about 3000rpm until the desired mph is met for lockup. (when the car locks up it sits at the same rpm as you would with a stock converter) and my stall is a 3200 btw.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes more sense...Heres my thing..I love the sound of wot gains no doubt..But I honestly hardly ever hit the gas like that...It is pretty much a town vehicle. Which as you know is alot of 25-slow 45mph driving. This is why I like my gears, I have what feels like great throttle response/ or it feels like it accelarates very quckly than it did with stock gears which were 2.73s. I'm at 25-45mph with a touch of the pedal.
On my 55mph-highway speeds is where it sounds like I would benifit the most stalled correct? Or am I not understanding how a stall down low would benefit my dd needs/fun factor? It kinda sounds like I would be hitting the gas just to immediatly let off threw town.. Man I wish I could test drive a stalled auto..Drives me nuts..All I here is how they pick up tremendous performance, but it's hard to understand how without driving one.