Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Revmax 3600 stall review!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well they custom build your converter for you when you order it, and if you got a nitrous converter it might not be a part they have a ton of on hand. Especially after the big sale they just had they probably sold an ***-ton of them.

Dude don't sweat not getting a Yank.. Revmax is basically all the same parts as a Yank but you can pick and choose what upgrades you want so you don't have to pay for stuff you don't need.

You will be super happy with it.. let me know what you think when you get it put in. You will be all smiles
Old 01-23-2012, 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

the one thing that i might be sweating is that the yanks rev fast and im wondering if the revmax will do the same but hey its in there name lol
Old 01-23-2012, 08:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ballinonabudget
Do it. Install it and see if you still want to do the M6 swap.. my guess will be no Worst case scenario you only waste 5-6 hours installing it and then you can sell it with the tranny.
Well, Im auto now but its an all stock Lt1 trans. So its not as bad as I wouldve thought(car was M5 before). But still thinking M6 is much more fun when doing the sceinic cruises with friends. For my long term plans I think I better stick to the A4 though. I want to do a turbo set up next so it would technically be better to stay A4 for better track times and better chances at doing my share of *** whoopin on the street...
Old 01-23-2012, 08:27 PM
Banned

hehe yeah not having an M6 was pretty much my only regret about getting my current z28, but now that I have the 3600 stall in there I really don't regret it anymore, this thing is crazy fast and super fun to drive now lol

95_lt1formula - My 3600 will rev right up to 3000+ rpm by just stabbing the throttle for a second. It's amazing. I really think you won't be disappointed. For the money I spent on this converter it is the single biggest thing that has made me the happiest with my car. I've spend like 12k on this car and this $350 converter puts the most smiles on my face.

I'd put Revmax up against Yank any day. Yank's converters are bulletproof no doubt but I honestly have absolutely ZERO complaints about this Revmax 3600. It does exactly what it's supposed to do, comes with a good warranty, looks great, and the guys at Revmax are great to talk to if you ever need help. I was on the fence about buying mine for a while, and after I did and got it in I really wanted to make this thread to help out guys like me who were iffy about it. Revmax is killin it.

I wish I could do it again, it makes me want to buy one for my daily driver lol.. it's a great improvement.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

What the hell makes their converter so much cheaper. Almost any name brand 3600stall is over 600$
Old 01-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by justin hover
What the hell makes their converter so much cheaper. Almost any name brand 3600stall is over 600$
It dosent have the billet cover.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KEVS98LS1
It dosent have the billet cover.
What is a billet cover? It kinda sounds like rev-max is more DD friendly the more and more I read.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:20 PM
Launching!

Factory-installed torque converters do not have a billet cover which is essential to resist external torsion and thrust stresses, and the internal hydraulic pressure created within the torque converter.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Banned

Billet covers have there place as well... Now on your average bolt on car or one with a little spray it is not essential... Now forced induction, large nos and other 500+ builds a billet for cover is needed along with the billet dampner. That is why we offer a stage 5 billet as well for those builds. When a customer calls us we take the time to go over their current build and future goals and direct them into the best converter for their build. Sometimes we can do a stage 3 sometimes it needs a 5. It all depends on the build!!
Old 01-24-2012, 09:48 PM
Banned

Yup. A billet cover isn't necessary if you aren't making big hp. That's why Revmax is so great and they can price their converters so cheap. They give you what you need, and ONLY what you need, they don't sell you a bunch of stuff you won't ever need to use.

Guys like me can get away with a pretty much basic Stage 3 converter. I'm NA and making about 400rwhp. I go to the drag stip only a few times a summer, and mostly just cruise and beat the **** out of my car on the street So all I needed was the carbon fiber lockup upgrade.

The vast majority of us are either stock, bolt on, or built but making 400-500rwhp. So what Revmax offers is pretty much perfect for many of us out there. Even if you need to purchase a bunch of upgrades, you can still get a fully decked-out TC at like half the cost of the other guys.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Banned

The streets cleared up and the weather is getting pretty nice, I should be able to go out and get a video taken tomorrow
Old 01-24-2012, 11:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by justin hover
What is a billet cover? It kinda sounds like rev-max is more DD friendly the more and more I read.
Like said a billet cover is a solid front cover on the stall made from a solid chunk of steel instead of just a normal stamped cover found on converters. It add's much more strength to the converter to prevent distortion and it also allows a much larger lockup clutch to be used... Also pretty much any name brand stall will dd good it more comes down to how the customer wants it to be setup a 3600 stall can be setup to drive tight but it will lose efficiency up top then again it can be setup to drive loose down lo and pull like hell up top...

A lot of people say billet covers arent needed an to an extent they're absolutely right most of the time a stock ls1 will not distort a non billet converter. However the non-billt converters start out life as another converter whether it be for a v6 trailblazer or whatever and thus decrease the locking area of the clutch surface. In an ls1 car the torque can overload the smaller clutch and also possibly distort the smaller cover, is it a sure fire thing that its going to happen? Nope. But is it worth the 300 bucks to me now to make sure that it doesnt happen and grenade he tranny? Sure is lol 300 now is cheaper than a tranny rebuild later.

Yup. A billet cover isn't necessary if you aren't making big hp. That's why Revmax is so great and they can price their converters so cheap. They give you what you need, and ONLY what you need, they don't sell you a bunch of stuff you won't ever need to use.

Guys like me can get away with a pretty much basic Stage 3 converter. I'm NA and making about 400rwhp. I go to the drag stip only a few times a summer, and mostly just cruise and beat the **** out of my car on the street So all I needed was the carbon fiber lockup upgrade.

The vast majority of us are either stock, bolt on, or built but making 400-500rwhp. So what Revmax offers is pretty much perfect for many of us out there. Even if you need to purchase a bunch of upgrades, you can still get a fully decked-out TC at like half the cost of the other guys.
I'm not knocking rev max here because they obviusly have a lot of satisfied customers so they must have a good product. But there are many other companies such as ptc, circle d, yank and fti that all offer lower end non billet converters just like rev max and they are all around the same price so again just be fair and compare the products accordingly....
Old 01-24-2012, 11:44 PM
Banned

Redbird555 - Yank does not offer ANY 3600 stall for under $745 + shipping. The cheapest they have is a "stealth thruster 2800" which is totally basic for $475 + shipping. The next step up is the 3000 at $575 which again, is basic.

So to be fair, it's not fair lol. There really is no comparing the two. Yank obviously has a ton of happy customers and I haven't seen many bad reviews on them, but you pay out the *** for the name. Revmax is offering basically the same converter if not better in some areas, with any optional upgrade you want for a base price of under $300 shipped. And I haven't seen 1 bad review on a Revmax yet.

I'm not trying to start a pissing match, I posted this thread solely because I wanted to give my point of view after getting my converter. But there really is no comparing the 2 companies. Revmax is doing something really no other TC company has done before, and I doubt they are making a ton of money off each sale. They putting out an honest, excellent, custom TC that lets the buyer choose.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Yank can restall that 2800 higher if you just call Dave and ask it just takes some internal changes to the design. Much like when you order a converter from any other company its not the actual converter that changes its the internal guts of it like the stator and blade angle. Also no offense man but saying you just pay for the name when you buy a 700 dollar converter from the big companies is a bolt statement. Reason being is you get a Billet cover and the pieces in the converter are usually all milled to a certain spec not just off the shelf parts is it necessary on a stockish car? Not really but have we all seen some on this site some come apart due to the small clutch? Yup... Is it worth the extra 300 to me now (no matter if i buy from revmax, circle d, yank etc) to prevent a tranny rebuild? To me it is.

Again man neither am I but circle d has a smaller converter for 390 shipped, FTI has one for around 400 and so does ptc so they arent the only company putting out a budget converter. Those are all comparable to a slightly optioned out stage 3 from what I see on revmax's site a stall with an antiballooning plate and carbon clutch bring it to around 400 which is what the ptc and circle d go for both of which come with the carbon clutch already. so again just trying to be fair for those looking I'm still waiting to be completely sold on revmax because I havent seen too many people on here post concrete track times not saying they ont work I just like seeing over believing .

Last edited by redbird555; 01-25-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Circle d didn't have one of the cheaper converters for the lt1 last time I looked. The low buck yanks are non billet, and the low buck ptc is non billet. Everything I've read from people that own a revmax is good, so I wouldn't knock them without having used them.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

And fti's budget converter is non billet too. When I emailed greg(?), he tried to push me toward a billet converter anyway and I'm just a bolt on lt1.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:27 AM
TECH Veteran

I didn't realize we were talkin about only lt1 converters here... Seeing as a lot of people buy these for ls1 cars my mistake however you are absolutely correct. The budget converters are non billet ones and so is the rev max stage 3 which is being spoken about here. I said each company offers a billet item at around 700. If I come off as bashing rev max I don't mean to do it but when people insist that no other company offers a budget converter it misinforms people because companies like circle d fti and ptc all do. I would also recommend a billet converter for really any car for security reason I already stated what company wouldn't try to upwelling you to a better product . It's whether you decide you need it or not. If I was on a budget I would happily tell them and go for a non billet item. If I had more cash I would go for the billet for the insurance.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

I agree, as long as you go with a good company, I wouldn't hesitate to run a non billet in a lower powered car though. I was going to get a ptc until I found my yank in the classifieds here for a good price.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:42 PM
Banned

None of their parts are "off the shelf".. they custom build every piece of your converter based on your build and driving habits. Nobody is talking about LT1 converters only, the prices on the LS1 converters are equally amazing.

Last edited by Ballinonabudget; 01-27-2012 at 01:37 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

None of their parts are "off the shelf".. they custom build every piece of your converter based on your build and driving habits. Nobody is talking about LT1 converters only, the prices on the LS1 converters are equally amazing.

And not to bash anyone but there are a TON of horror stories from guys running Circle D converters...
I know, I just threw that out there because the last time I looked(several months ago) circle d didn't have an option for the lt1 crowd for a budget converter. I just rechecked circle d's website and they do offer a lower dollar converter for the lt1 now. Don't know how long that's been there though. I know when I looked into them they didn't have one though.

Quick Reply: Revmax 3600 stall review!