Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sun Shell Opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Sun Shell Opinions.

In the process of buying parts for a 4L60 build up. What is the better sun shell to go with? The Beast or the Sonnax Smart Shell? I know the Beast is strong but have heard about vibrations in 3rd gear with it? Opinions please...
Old 03-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both are good i put a beast in almost every trans i do and never had a vibration problem.The sonnax goes in all my performance builds and is a much nicer piece, but either is a better choice than the stock one.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

The Beast is a decent piece. I use it even on "stock" rebuilds at the shop so I never have to worry about a sun shell failure.

The Sonnax is also a quality piece. I like the fact it unloads the torrington in the rear planet but it isn't a requirement.

As far as vibration in 3rd. This has come up a few times. The Beasy shell isn't dynamically balanced like OEM and others. However it is not turning in 2nd or OD, and in 3rd it is not supported very well to keep it from running off center (one of the design flaws of the 4L60 type trans). So it is much more likely to vibrate due to that than from an imbalance issue.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are all these Beast "vibration" testimonies at? Ive only read one and it was a possibility but never proven? I even considered it but looked for proof of imbalance and could find no reputable evidence... true it is NOT balanced but nothing else in the rotating assembly is either... If you ask me, Beast cornered the market in the Sun Shell department and now a different marketing point has to be used to get other people to buy something different... I have a Beast in mine and have ZERO vibrations... if you think about it, there are probably tens of thousands of those shells out there and you hear about a handfull of problems? If you ask me, the odds of you getting a "bad" one are slim to none.... Go with the beast and use the Torrington bearing as well...you will be happy
Old 03-23-2012, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 72blownvert
Both are good i put a beast in almost every trans i do and never had a vibration problem.The sonnax goes in all my performance builds and is a much nicer piece, but either is a better choice than the stock one.
Listen to 72blownvert he knows his stuff. I've been running a 4L60E that he built for my TransAm back in 03' and it still pounds the gears and takes the abuse for over 60k miles now. Have you gone with a vacuum modulator yet?

Quick Reply: Sun Shell Opinions.