Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60E shift kit trouble.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NolanTA
The pin is what won't compress, though, see the picture I've attached. The pin doesn't fit through the hole in the piston, and is longer than the spring, so what is the spring supposed to compress against? the spring is loose between the case and the piston.
It looks like you have mixed up your pins. That pin looks like it is from the 1-2 accumulator (the housing that sits directly on the other side of the separator plate). Try swapping the pin out of your 1-2 accumulator and using it in the case. This thing:

Old 04-18-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

You mixed up the 2nd and 4th accum. pistons! Check the hole in the center, the 1-2 is smaller
Old 04-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Doh, gonna go check.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JUNK
You mixed up the 2nd and 4th accum. pistons! Check the hole in the center, the 1-2 is smaller

that was it.. the pins were right (fit snug) but once I swapped the pistons everything moves like it's supposed to...

see 2 attachments. I think the instructions with the Transgo kit are unclear.

I think I have it now.. thanks!
Old 04-18-2012, 09:39 PM
Teching In

piston swap images uploaded
Attached Thumbnails 4l60E shift kit trouble.-20120418_212737.jpg   4l60E shift kit trouble.-20120418_213035.jpg  
Old 04-18-2012, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

next time.........use sonnax pinless pistons
Old 04-19-2012, 08:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Several hundred builds here and never a pinless acc. in any of them.....whole lotta boost valves, sleeved drums and clutch-packs, servos and bands. I think I own stock in raybestos, but the 4th accumulator always ends up in the garbage can under the tranny bench. I'm sure GM meant to plug that feed hole with a checkball anyway
Old 04-19-2012, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey, problem solved. Happy motoring!
Old 04-19-2012, 07:36 PM
Teching In

All back together, and I just put another 10-15 miles on it at various speeds. Seems better, but either something is still wrong or I just need to get used to what the shift kit did. It seems to still spike the RPMs more than I would expect when it shifts into 4th. I might take a video of the tach tomorrow and maybe host it somewhere and see what y'all think.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Only in 4th? Did u replace the servo w/ aftermarket or use the parts in the trans-go kit? Did u flip the 4th apply piston in the servo cover? What about the seals? Get busy b4 u burn the band
Old 04-20-2012, 06:32 AM
Teching In

I reinstalled it as shown here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...ons-img005.jpg

Only used the Transgo HD2 parts, did not replace any servos.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Well it is still jacked up. Here's a video from my phone watching the speed and rpm's. I guess I'm going to have to find a shop to work on it. Maybe a good time to just bite the bullet and get an upgrade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnBYamEn2Yo

Sorry the video is sideways, not sure how to easily rotate it. don't hurt your neck.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Oh and after limping it home like that, my garage smells bad, now too. Not a good sign, I know.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

what size holes did you drill in the plate? was there excessive wear in the plate from the checkballs? if you did not check it i am SURE the plate was worn..........f bods already have the vette servo.....but did you install the shims?
Old 04-20-2012, 07:29 PM
Teching In

The separator plate was the original one, about 80,000 miles on it. I did not notice any particular wear on it. I do not touch the servo at all.

Based on the video and what I've described, what kind of damage am I looking at?
Old 04-20-2012, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The separator plate was the original one, about 80,000 miles on it. I did not notice any particular wear on it. I do not touch the servo at all.

Based on the video and what I've described, what kind of damage am I looking at?
All I see is a transmission with no 3-4 lockup judging by the vid. My experience is with 700r4s. When that happens to a 700r4 it's usually the governor or the lockup solenoid.

Being a 4L60e, yours is electronically controlled. Are you sure you connected the wiring harness properly?
Old 04-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Speedy
All I see is a transmission with no 3-4 lockup judging by the vid. My experience is with 700r4s. When that happens to a 700r4 it's usually the governor or the lockup solenoid.

Being a 4L60e, yours is electronically controlled. Are you sure you connected the wiring harness properly?
There's really just 6 connectors, and I was pretty careful. Would it be worth replacing the solenoids, and maybe the separator plate? Could driving it like the video showed have damaged anything else, remembering the smell that filled the garage when I got it home?
Old 04-22-2012, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There's really just 6 connectors, and I was pretty careful. Would it be worth replacing the solenoids, and maybe the separator plate? Could driving it like the video showed have damaged anything else, remembering the smell that filled the garage when I got it home?
At this point, it's hard to tell. Throwing parts at it without testing them first isn't likely to solve anything (test the solenoids with a circuit tester). I installed the Transgo separator plate in mine because the old one was worn. The accumulator spring had almost worn through the stock plate, check ***** had beat dents into it too, at 93,000mi. The clutches were fine though, even the 3-4 were fine which surprised me because I found all kinds of grey matter in the bottom of the fluid pan.

So don't panic yet. Above the Valve body the 4L60e is similar to the 700. My ATSG manuals says this about "3-4 shift/slipping or rough 3-4 shift". The following may apply to you, read carefully:

Governor---Governor valve stuck. (not likely unless you installed the wiring wrong)

Oil pump Assembly---(not likely your problem since you didn't touch the pump)

Valve Body Assembly---Valves stuck (2-3 shift valve train); or, Accumulator valve; or, Throttle valve; or, TV limit valve; or, 1-2 shift valve train; or 3-2 Control valve; or, Manual valve link bent or damaged; or, Spacer plate or gaskets incorrect, mispositioned or damaged.

Case ---3rd accumulator retainer and ball assembly leaking; or, Porosity in 3-4 accumulator piston bore; or, 3-4 accumulator piston seal or seal grooves damaged; or, Plugged or missing orifice cup plug; restricted oil passage. (you had trouble assembling the 3-4 accumulator, but presumably you fixed that problem, is there anything you might have done wrong?).

Test the solenoids, then take the trans off and go through it to check for damage. This is likely being caused by a simple error.

You can call the Transgo tech line and talk to them about it. They're pretty good. But if you've already burned up the 3-4 clutches for whatever reason you may need to change that clutch pack.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

if your tranny was on the way out............there is nothing the TG kit would have done for you..........ask me how i know
Old 04-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello boss man,

Please contact me for a professional consultation regarding your needs. We are happy to provide you with references both here in the United States and Internationally. Be sure to check out our website at maddogtransmissions.com

Hear what our customers and fans say on our Facebook Page at www.facebook.com/maddogtransmissions

We also accept orders over the phone. Be sure to contact us and we will recommend the correct transmission for your application. For your convenience, we accept PayPal and all major credit and debit cards.

If you prefer, we can call you personally, just e-mail us your phone number.

All our transmissions are very strong and reliable, and can be used for everyday driving. Extended warranties are also available.

Thank You,
"Mad Dog" Lou

Mad Dog Transmissions
Phone 770-781-0949
Fax 770-781-0969

Web: www.maddogtransmissions.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/maddogtransmissions
Twitter: www.twitter.com/maddoglou
YouTube: www.youtube.com/maddogtransmissions

Quick Reply: 4l60E shift kit trouble.