Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 1-2 Shift problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A4 1-2 Shift problem

I recently got my 4l60e rebuilt for my 02 camaro. I got the transmission back in and everything works and shifts fine.

The only problem I have noticed intermittantly is when I pull the shifter back into manual first it doesnt always downshift into first gear. I have 3.73s and a 26 inch tire so it should go into manual first under 30 mph.
Also when you shift from park to manual first it will shift into second gear at about 1500-2000 rpm even though the shifter is still in manual first. Sometimes it will go from 1st to 2nd gear and then drop back into 1st without moving the shifter from the manual 1st selection.
The car has a 3200 Circle D converter with a Frost mail order tune.

I have checked the shifter cable and everything seems to be good.

This one has kind of got me stumped. Hopefully someone can get me headed in the right direction. Thanks!
Old 05-27-2012, 09:17 PM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

The 4l60E Technicians guide reads:
"If the transmission is in any other forward gear when Manual First is selected, the transmission will not shift into First gear until vehicle speed is below approximately 33 mph."

I pretty sure the PCM controls this through the shift solenoids and the PCM therefore needs to know what position your shifter is in.

You said you checked you shifter cables; lets assume that is OK. The way the PCM knows what position your shifter is in (other than Park/Neutral and Reverse) is through the "Pressure Switch Assembly". I suspect yours is either defective or the wiring to it is bad. It is a $25 part that can be replaced by only dropping the pan:

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-00035398a.htm

Or perhaps the builder forget to connect it or tighten the bolts on it. A local trans shop will probably have it in stock and you could easily replace it yourself.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot! That's the kind of answer I was looking for. Is there any actual way to adjust the shifter cable?

Last edited by 02_camaroz28; 05-27-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

First thing I would do is verify the cable is fully engaging manual 1st completely. Go under the car and have someone move the gear shift (engine not running) and you watch the lever on the side of the trans. There is a very distinctive click with each gear selection change. Though that may not be the problem it is one of the easiest to check.