Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my 4l60e blown

Old 05-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my 4l60e blown

Trans was just rebuild ran great for 2 weeks and all of a sudden I lost every gear was going about 15 and gave it gas to get up to speed and it hit the limiter I let off a lil and it was OK then was cruising back yo the house at 40 and lost everything

I think its the pump but I'm not sure what do yall think and is changing a pump as simple as pull one off put another on
Old 05-28-2012, 03:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah it does sound like the pump and if so you are probably going to need to pull the whole trans down again. I had one do pretty much the same thing and had alot of metal in the trans from the pump
Old 05-28-2012, 09:00 PM

Received 385 Likes on 294 Posts

A broken pump sounds highly likely. First make sure you still have fluid in the trans and didn't e.g. blow a cooler line.

Assuming the pump casing is OK, a rebuild kit is only $45 or so. It is a good idea to use hardened rings in the pump; Transgo sells them with a high-rev spring for $15.

As EDS01SS mentioned, if any metal parts got ground up, you will need to rebuilt the entire trans, send the converter out for a cleaning, replace your oil cooler and clean out the cooler lines.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:33 AM

Maybe my idea of a good pump is higher than others but if you broke a pump rotor there will be damage in the pump. I should either be replaced of re-machined.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:20 AM

I haven't personally seen the results of a broken pump rotor (vane); I'm sure Vince is right about the damage it would cause.
A used pump (with no damage) is inexpensive and a $45 rebuild kit will give you a top-quality 13-vane pump.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Vince is correct, the broken pump vanes and rings will tear up the surface of both sides of the pump housing. When re-built properly, the pump halves are machined b4 being put together. It's a lot more than just a bushing and some parts.......

Also, if the convetor was installed correctly and this still happened, u may want to check the convertor pump-drive hub dimensions and that it is centered and true. Sounds basic, but if u got a cheap convertor (less than 800.00 or so) or the guy building the convertor is having a bad (or high) day, this will happen again.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Is there any chance the pump didn't shell out metal in the trans
Old 05-29-2012, 05:57 PM

I have heard of torque converters pulling out of the pump because of excessive clearance. That is why I always suggest checking the clearance between the converter and the flexplate to be sure it is between 1/16" and 3/16". Less than that indicates the converter might not be in all the way; more than that and it might pull out of the pump.

Like I mentioned before, assuming you have fluid in the trans, you are going to have to pull it and at least remove and open the pump to check for damage.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Blastin
Is there any chance the pump didn't shell out metal in the trans
Good chance the trans is clean, I would not really trust the convertor. Have it cleaned and checked. At least 1 convertor vendor here sends units out with drive hubs not fully centered, and I have seen a coupkle with under-sized (diameter) pump drive hubs. I am not a convertor expert, but I have seen poorly made aftermarket parts mess up cars more than some of the hacks that work on them.
CHECK THAT CONVERTOR BEFORE IT'S RE-USED. Replace the pump and don't forget to check endplay.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Blastin
Trans was just rebuild ran great for 2 weeks and all of a sudden I lost every gear was going about 15 and gave it gas to get up to speed and it hit the limiter I let off a lil and it was OK then was cruising back yo the house at 40 and lost everything

I think its the pump but I'm not sure what do yall think and is changing a pump as simple as pull one off put another on
Why do you think it is the pump (how did you diagnose this...?)...?
Old 05-29-2012, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by joecar
Why do you think it is the pump (how did you diagnose this...?)...?
If you have fluid and have line pressure, then either forward or reverse should work as they use very different parts and hydraulic circuits (they have little in common). Since the trans operated for a while, its not likely that a major part is missing.

The proper thing would be to first hook up a line pressure gauge. These gauges are only $45 on ebay and there is a plug for it on the drivers side of the trans. Or have a trans shop check it for you.

There is the possibility that the wrong trans filter was installed and it has fallen out of the pump. I would first drop the pan and look for an obvious problem like that, a really loose valve body, etc. I suppose that if the snap ring for the boost valve fell out, the entire pressure regulator would fall out and you would also have no pressure. This would be easy to check with the pan off too. If nothing obvious and no line pressure then it time to pull the trans and open it up.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

was your converter locking up before it blew? and upgrading to a 13 vane pump isnt always a great idea because they break easyer...

try starting the car and moving it again if it moves it most likely isnt your pump. or at least wasnt that from the start but you most likely toasted your forward clutches
Old 05-30-2012, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvedit
If you have fluid and have line pressure, then either forward or reverse should work as they use very different parts and hydraulic circuits (they have little in common). Since the trans operated for a while, its not likely that a major part is missing.

The proper thing would be to first hook up a line pressure gauge. These gauges are only $45 on ebay and there is a plug for it on the drivers side of the trans. Or have a trans shop check it for you.

There is the possibility that the wrong trans filter was installed and it has fallen out of the pump. I would first drop the pan and look for an obvious problem like that, a really loose valve body, etc. I suppose that if the snap ring for the boost valve fell out, the entire pressure regulator would fall out and you would also have no pressure. This would be easy to check with the pan off too. If nothing obvious and no line pressure then it time to pull the trans and open it up.
That's my point... the OP concluded the pump is bad but he didn't do a few simple things like you said... if he finds something like you described then this would have saved him R/R'ing the trans.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by joecar
That's my point... the OP concluded the pump is bad but he didn't do a few simple things like you said... if he finds something like you described then this would have saved him R/R'ing the trans.

You certainly are correct. Sometimes I just assume people will drop the pan to check for obvious problems before they remove the transmission. Probably a bad assumption.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Teching In

did I blow my tranny?? The that did my swap ended up cutting a lot of corners and got in over his head.lONG story short you get what you pay for. So when picking up the car he hadnt hooked up shifter so there was no way to know if tranny shifted correctly it stayed in neutral, so we pushed it on the trailer and I got it home, assumed I could shift it in gear from the shift lever(dangerous I know)and drive it into garage.Didnt work put it gear and it would die. Idles great once in gear died. Oh and the transmission wiring harness is not hookedup(didnt know I needed one to just recently...apparently nor did he..)He mentioned that I needed about a quart and half of tranny fluid, so after researching online I FIGURED that would be the fix. So I got shifter and shift cable installed shifted really smooth. added fluid and went to crank the car. I cranked it let it idle for about 30 secs and reveved it the car lunged forward,so I applied the parking break and reveed to keep it from dying...I heard something leaking kill the igniton and looked under car..tranny fluid all on the ground everywhere....Looked at the shift lever the car was in d1 or d2 and I didnt realize it.. So I put it in park cleaned the mess and tried to crank it again and shift to drive nothing happened but more fluid came out...So did I just blow my tranny..4L60E by the way

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is my 4l60e blown