Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to install teflon seals (without tools)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 01:33 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

I use "step cut" solid rings on the input shaft and have been using them since I come up with the idea back in 1994. I had Stellar in Ohio first make these rings around that time. They have been available for many years from different distributors since. This idea was based on "step cut" piston rings which work well. The scarf cut rings that I use is on the back of the pump where there is "no balance problems" as on the input shaft, and have never had a problem there. GM realized very quickly that the scarf cut rings on the input shaft had balance problems, thereby the solid ring solution. These "step cut" rings require "no special tool" to install them and much less time on installation. I am not familiar with the "L" cut rings.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,204 Likes on 844 Posts

IMO; after becoming accustomed to installing solid teflon rings, there was no going back to anything else.

They take practically no time at all, once getting the feel for stretching and shrinking the solid sealing rings.
I originally would buy all the installation tools made for the solid sealing rings for any new transmission model that came into the market.
I have become so fast over many years of installing these solid sealing rings, that I find no need to use any special tools.

Now, I prep the solid sealing rings in warm water, stretch them over a long-neck skinny funnel, shrink them with electrical tape, and finally size them with the corresponding transmission component.
For example; I install only solid sealing rings the the 4L60E units... The entire process takes less than 3 minutes.

The benefits of using the solid sealing rings, are far too great to use any other type of sealing ring in my shop.

If any of you guys are concerned about it; purchase a long thin funnel and some electrical tape... Practice for a few hours, and you can eventually master it.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I brought a 'ring buddy' off ebay, if your on a tight budget just use the end of a funnel and some zip ties, shell be right.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,204 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by grasshopper645
I brought a 'ring buddy' off ebay, if your on a tight budget just use the end of a funnel and some zip ties, shell be right.
Damn! All the knock-off tools that exist today are SUPER cheap! I had no idea.

The original tool set from SPX Kent Moore made for the GM Hydra-Matic division, is very similar to your "ring buddy".
However, when I purchased the official GM tool in the early 1990s... I believe it would have been selling for about $400.00
So I quickly taught myself to install solid teflon sealing rings without the specialized tools.

Purchase a long thin funnel... maybe 24" long.
Half inch diameter up to four inch or six, very gradually.
Stand the funnel up on a work bench, so that the small end points up.
Soak the rings in warm to hot water.
Now take one ring and slide it down the funnel (similar to pulling a condom down the funnel, if you had to) until the diameter of the funnel gives the ring a small amount of stretch.
Place the stretched ring down over the ring lands into place.
Wrap electrical tape around the ring to shrink it.
Place the corresponding part over the tape, and size the rings.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

If only done a few rebuilds but have never had the slightest issue with the solid rings and just using a cut plastic water bottle.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:42 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

I will use my way. Easier and much faster with no problems.

Quick Reply: how to install teflon seals (without tools)