Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking fluid level

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Checking fluid level

This might sound stupid but I'm checking my fluid level 4L60e stock tube and dipstick and for the life of me I can't get an obvious fluid level. Its not fluid then nothing like it should be, its lots of fluid then a little less then a little less, then nothing by the time its about twice the full mark. I've tried letting it sit for 15 minutes then starting and checking, I've tried letting it sit at idle in park for 30 minutes then checking... I know I sound like a retard but I'm really quite capable of checking fluid level, so this just baffles me, lol.

BTW, I just finished installing the FTI 9.5" converter and Performabuilt transmission, followed directions that came with the trans. Also noticed after just idling and shifting thru the range the fluid temp read 228 (read via HPTuners)! I checked on the bottom of the pan with an infrared thermometer after it had sat for 10 minutes and the temp was 164.

Last edited by animuL; 06-15-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

How many quarts of fluid did you put in initially??? When I check fluid which has been a lot lately since I put my yank/flt combo in I usually take it for a nice ride then on a flat spot of my driveway put it in park and look at it. Mine is usually 140ish when I check it.

Also do you have an aftermarket cooler hooked up cuz 228 is pretty damn hot.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:07 PM
11 Second Club

Cooler is new, it came with the transmission. Stock "cooler" is bypassed. I put six quarts in then started in neutral and added six more, all per the instructions.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

reading the stick can sometimes be crazy-one side of the stick can read high, the other side low-i think it drags some fluid off the tube when you pull it out
let it warm up, then pull it out and read it, wipe it off and do it again, read it
if you read it right after dumping in fluid, it picks up the residual in the tube
depending on the stick your using, i sometimes rough it up with sandpaper to let the fluid stick to it
the plastic ones are the worst
Old 06-18-2012, 08:17 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the input guys. I had to leave the car and do other stuff for a few days but got back to it today. I found out I only needed about 9-9.5 quarts of fluid so it was overfull which caused it to be hard to read. I drained the extra out and everything seems perfect!

Quick Reply: Checking fluid level