Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MadDog Transmission review + 4L60 swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjs1012
Funny how you talk about others trashing the guy, but it's obvious you don't trust what you have because you want to have other shops open the trans up and you're ready to "call your lawyer".
well its all about being honest and use common sence, I hate when people is political correct or is afraid to say what it needs to be said... maybe you can throw away money, maybe you burn money just to ignite your fire place, maybe you use 100$ as a toilet paper but for normal people like me the money I paid for this 4L80 was A LOT! and I trusted Maddog to the point I bought the trans for hin isnt it?, the transmission worked fine, firm shifts and smooth operation when tested with the Modded LS1 but I havent used it with the new engine. you can go to any formum and its always the same drama, this make the company image Unreliable as a plastic engine block, so sorry to be aware of the situation and be ready for the worst case scenario... you know, not everybody is can swim in money like you...

Old 03-29-2016, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

So let me get this straight...you were weary of buying one from Maddog from the beginning and were "ready for the worst case scenario" but bought it anyway?? Good for you that it works, but I wouldn't have bought it if I had any doubts about the product I was paying for.

I did plenty of research before buying my transmission and did it right the first time and got one from FLT, so I will swim in my money knowing I don't have to dish it out again.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjs1012
So let me get this straight...you were weary of buying one from Maddog from the beginning and were "ready for the worst case scenario" but bought it anyway?? Good for you that it works, but I wouldn't have bought it if I had any doubts about the product I was paying for.

I did plenty of research before buying my transmission and did it right the first time and got one from FLT, so I will swim in my money knowing I don't have to dish it out again.

at that time I bought it I didnt new about all of the drama arround, It was my first project and thats was one of the mistakes I did... I been happy with my 4L80 so far, no complains but I can do nothing but be ready for the worst case scenario now that I bough it... the transmission worked flawless with 400 RWHP but that something a Stock 4L80 can handle, the real challenge will be the new engine (408 Full bluild LSA engine)... now I just have this uncomftable felling of

"crap... I better not floor it... I may blow my trans"

Do you know how it feels to drive a Camaro with that felling? spoiler alert: IT KILLS ALL THE FUN! but at the same time its not Mad Dog fault this time because the Transmission been working really good, just... dont want other people to deal with the same issue... if Low is telling the truth and he fix his bussines.. my trans will keep working good and soon or later Ill regain the trust on my transsmission, and I will happy eat my words... but if it broke... ohhh I will be ready for it... Im not trashing or putting my hands for Low on this... but the situation is uncomftable...

Anyway leason learned... is the best tool in your project car...

( you want to know something funny? FLT was my first option because they are not far away from home... but Mad dog answer first with a better deal so I opted for Mad Dog... I guess Time will have the last word)
Old 03-30-2016, 09:10 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

First, a 4L80E is so much stronger than a 4L60E, that even a "slapped together" 4L80E will likely outlast a carefully built 4L60E.
Having read nearly every post here from 5 years and talked to many pro builders, I get the feeling that the 4L80E has a more robust design which makes a rebuild less "finicky".
In contrast, checking all the areas the 3/4 clutch fluid can leak in a 4L60E is such a time consuming task, that many rebuilders try to save time by skipping steps. As a result, many 4L60E rebuilds fail prematurely.
Also, from what I understand, some of the long time knowledge of rebuilding the TH400 also applies to the 4L80E.
I don't read many posts about 4L80E rebuilds immediately failing, like I do with 4L60E.

Therefore, I suspect that even your Maddog 4L80E will hold up just fine to moderate (less than 700HP) power levels.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGoom
So is this place a yay or a nay?
Nay

Originally Posted by SesiomSummers
This is more like buy under your own Risk... Mine is working good, but after all Ive seen is ... kinda uncomftable felling that your trans may blow any second, to be honest Im tempted to travel to Jake`s performances in Orlando and made him check if my top of the line 4l80 is what it is... Im really gratefull with MadDod so far but Im ready to call my Layer if this is just a stock 4l80 with beauty parts... If I where you I would contact Monster or any other and get a quote... Low seems to be a good guy but... his company is not trustworthy.

hope this helps!
Jake's is in Texas, just north of the DFW area, not Orlando.

Originally Posted by mrvedit
First, a 4L80E is so much stronger than a 4L60E, that even a "slapped together" 4L80E will likely outlast a carefully built 4L60E.
Having read nearly every post here from 5 years and talked to many pro builders, I get the feeling that the 4L80E has a more robust design which makes a rebuild less "finicky".
In contrast, checking all the areas the 3/4 clutch fluid can leak in a 4L60E is such a time consuming task, that many rebuilders try to save time by skipping steps. As a result, many 4L60E rebuilds fail prematurely.
Also, from what I understand, some of the long time knowledge of rebuilding the TH400 also applies to the 4L80E.
I don't read many posts about 4L80E rebuilds immediately failing, like I do with 4L60E.

Therefore, I suspect that even your Maddog 4L80E will hold up just fine to moderate (less than 700HP) power levels.
Have you never torn into an 80E mrvedit? I guess I assumed during all the time of your experimentation that one crossed your path at some point. You should mess around with a cheap core when you get the chance. It is immediately apparent to even the untrained eye how much more robust a 4L80E is compared to a 60E.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:44 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by SnIpEz
Have you never torn into an 80E mrvedit? I guess I assumed during all the time of your experimentation that one crossed your path at some point. You should mess around with a cheap core when you get the chance. It is immediately apparent to even the untrained eye how much more robust a 4L80E is compared to a 60E.
No, I have not yet worked on a 4L80E myself; maybe if/when I add a supercharger to my engine.
But then my 4L60E knowledge will fade.

I have seen and compared the internals when the mechanic at a local trans shop had both a 4L80E and 4L60E apart on adjacent work benches. It is a stunning difference in the robustness of the internal parts; except for the input shaft which is often then first item to be upgraded to billet.

Quick Reply: MadDog Transmission review + 4L60 swap