Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't shift out of park.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't shift out of park.

Well, long story short I had to get the car towed when I ran out of gas (bad fuel pump). I've got it towed twice, to my house, and then to pep boys. Now either one of the two towing companies or pep boys must've jammed the shift button on the handle trying to get it out of park when the car was turned off, which I'm guessing ruined the handle.. Now even when the car is off the button will go all the way in, but it wont shift wether the car is on or not. Now pep boys said the entire shifter assembly is bad (which I don't believe for a second) and they also are quoting me $460 for a shifter assembly. Now, I don't know how mucht hey run knew but I can get a used one for $50... So I'm saying screw pep boys I"m just going to do it myself.

So do yall think the entire shifter assembly is bad or maybe just the handle and the lock mechanism for when the car is off.. And I tried looking for some aftermarket shifter assemblies on line and I can't find anything.. And good ones yall know about?
Old 08-25-2012, 02:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

there is a plastic rod in the shifter handle that engages the interlock solenoid cable. that is probably what is screwed up. I have a stock shifter assembly for sale that has been shortened and has a chrome adapter for different shifter handles. PM me if you are interested
Old 08-25-2012, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shifter button broken try our parts for sale section or local junk yard.

Quick Reply: Car won't shift out of park.