Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e diagnostic... need a starting point...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 4l60e diagnostic... need a starting point...

Ok guys, first ill start by giving you some backround on this worthless piece of metal that currently resides between my motor and my rear end. I started with a monster 4l60e stage 2... I got bit by the beast. It lasted 500 miles and **** the bed. Monster refused to warranty me because I wasnt running there convertor (they recomended me a yank 3800 when they told me they couldnt stall me high enough with there convertors but failed to mention that little fact) I took it to a local shop and had it rebuilt with upgraded parts (by upgraded i mean stock gm because the inside of this thing was worthless) so at this point im about 3 grand into a 1200 transmission. Ive been doing pretty good since that rebuild and logged about 5000 miles on it.

Yesterday on the way to get the car re-tuned with Jeremy Formato in Gettysburg. Car was fine all morning, drove it to Fredrick for lunch. Started to head to Gettysburg and as I was pulling onto the highway at about quarter throttle the trans fell out of gear. I started pulling it through the range to see if anything would hit. Nothing. Rolled to a stop, checked fluid. Looked a little low so I put some in, still wouldnt move. Ended up having the car towed home. Still wont go into gear and I'm at a complete loss on where to start. Motors running fine, no trouble codes. Just wont go into gear.

Let me know what you guys think...
Old 08-27-2012, 10:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maxplusten
Ok guys, first ill start by giving you some backround on this worthless piece of metal that currently resides between my motor and my rear end. I started with a monster 4l60e stage 2... I got bit by the beast. It lasted 500 miles and **** the bed. Monster refused to warranty me because I wasnt running there convertor (they recomended me a yank 3800 when they told me they couldnt stall me high enough with there convertors but failed to mention that little fact) I took it to a local shop and had it rebuilt with upgraded parts (by upgraded i mean stock gm because the inside of this thing was worthless) so at this point im about 3 grand into a 1200 transmission. Ive been doing pretty good since that rebuild and logged about 5000 miles on it.

Yesterday on the way to get the car re-tuned with Jeremy Formato in Gettysburg. Car was fine all morning, drove it to Fredrick for lunch. Started to head to Gettysburg and as I was pulling onto the highway at about quarter throttle the trans fell out of gear. I started pulling it through the range to see if anything would hit. Nothing. Rolled to a stop, checked fluid. Looked a little low so I put some in, still wouldnt move. Ended up having the car towed home. Still wont go into gear and I'm at a complete loss on where to start. Motors running fine, no trouble codes. Just wont go into gear.

Let me know what you guys think...
I had the same problem 3k miles into my waste of metal 60e, i purchased the trans for 300, spent 1500 having it built...... 3k miles into it getting on the freeway little more than quarter throttle. it downshifted then nothing.

BROKEN INPUT SHAFT......

Had that replaced 15k miles later second gear bands are wasted.... this is my daily driver that i was hoping for some track use but not going to happen.

Im looking to swap a TH400 into it now. IM DONE
Old 08-28-2012, 01:00 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I would first check that the converter to flexplate bolts didn't all fall out.
Else, you are going to have to pull the trans to find the problem.
A total failure like that sounds like the pump or the input or output shaft.
You could test the pump by connecting a gauge to the side port, but regardless the trans will have to come out.
I'm no expert, but I don't think any electrical/solenoid/PCM/tuning or similar problem could cause this, as in those case the trans goes into limp mode and you have only 3rd gear and reverse.
Sorry not to have better news.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Kind of going through same thing, did you loose Reverse also?

Quick Reply: 4l60e diagnostic... need a starting point...