Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

200 psi at idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 200 psi at idle

So, I've had a **** load of issues with my( built )transmission. The first guy turned the EPC noid up a full turn. The shop that built it the 2nd time never checked the line pressure and exoded 4-5 pumps. Shifts 1-2 great but 2-3 TOTALY sucks. You can feel the slow *** shift. They say they will change the drum and that should fix it. ( agin )
My question is: what would cause a very f'n slow 2-3 shift and soft 3-4 shift. Is something busted? The car is a 2000 TransAm, lq4 with a PTC converter. The transmission has a TransGo HD 2 kit. New clutches & drums. I'm sick of dumping cash into it. Please help
Old 11-02-2012, 10:48 PM

Received 390 Likes on 299 Posts

I see that no one else had replied yet, probably because the trans builders are thinking "good grief where do I start".

First, the over-high pressure at idle needs to be fixed. With the HD2 kit, you should have somewhere around 125 at idle in Park/Neutral/Drive and around 200-225 in Reverse or when you blip the throttle. Sounds like the EPC solenoid is messed up and is commanding max pressure at all times; not good. Alternatively, if you have a 2007 or later trans, the HD2 boost valve needs to be installed differently; tell me if that is the case.

The 2-3 and 3-4 shifts are NEVER as crisp as the 1-2. They should seem fast, but without the snap. If the 2-3 really is slow and sloppy, the possible reasons are:
* Worn out 3/4 clutches.
* Leak of 3/4 fluid in the input drum
* Leak of 3/4 fluid in the servo assembly
* Leak of 3/4 fluid past the 3rd accumulator check ball
* Leak of 3/4 fluid in the 3/4 accumulator
* Insufficient size 3rd fluid hole in the separator plate
(HD2 kit specifies .092 which is sufficient, but can go up to .125)

A good rebuilder will check everything to ensure there is no 3/4 leakage, make sure the 3/4 clutches are of good quality and have the proper clearance. There are too many details to cover here.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I turned the epc down a complete turn. Pressure now at idle is 95. The Transmission case is from a 98 as my original case was so scared up it was unusable. Does this help?
Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:43 PM

Received 390 Likes on 299 Posts

Glad to hear you got the idle pressure fixed.
Keep in mind that a high-stall converter makes the shifts feel softer.
You might need an experienced trans expert or tuner to tell you whether your 2-3 shift is OK.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's a good idea. I need some one close to Tulsa though that isn't trying to sell me a transmission

Quick Reply: 200 psi at idle