Old 11-29-2012, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toms River Transmission

Anyone ever use them? Results good/bad
Old 11-30-2012, 08:37 AM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

Why are you considering them?
If they are local and are going to install the trans for you, give you a reasonable warranty and don't have too many complaints at the BBB - AND- build transmissions at your power level, then that seems reasonable.
However, if you were just looking on the Net, I would be very cautious. For one thing their starting price of $1000 is very low which indicates they don't use upgraded hard parts, despite what they say. So, it might be OK for 350HP, but not much more. If you start asking them for upgraded parts, the price will quickly go up.
A high quality rebuild kit with upgraded parts to create a "stock" late-model 4L65E costs about $750. Then you are good for maybe 500HP.
So, lets consider what happens if their trans fails AND they honor their warranty and give you a new one. Well, you have probably spent $600+ to remove/install the trans, the converter now needs cleaning which is another $200 with shipping, your cooler needs replacement (no way to fully flush them), which is another $150+ for parts/labor. And you still have a trans which might be no better than the last one.

There are many people on this forum who tried to go cheap and they ended up paying double what a high-quality trans would have cost initially.

IMO, consider one of the sponsors here like Performabuilt, RPM or FLT, some of whom are running holiday pricing now. Yes, their prices are well north of $1000, but it is because they use the $750 rebuild kits, add their own parts and take care to build and test the trans before you receive it. Their failure rate as documented by many members here is very low.
Hey, just my opinion.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with mrvedit... try not to go too cheap on your transmission! Going cheap can cost you more in the future.Trust me I know couple of people that have went the cheap way and now they have payed more for repairs which could have been money to buy a great transmissions from some of the great Automatic Transmission sponsors here in LS1 Tech Think more towards the future and the problems that could happen by going cheap.

Quick Reply: Toms River Transmission