Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60E Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60E Rebuild

I just recently rebuilt a 4l60E transmission for a 1994 1500 1/2 ton. I replaced the torque converter also..
My problem is I get a vibration at 35-40 mph and this goes away after these speeds and returns on deceleration until TC stall. I have rotated the TC twice and the problem is still there. Could this be a TC balancing issue.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:24 PM

Received 424 Likes on 323 Posts

Its pretty hard to rebuild the trans and get it out of balance, although some people have reported vibrations due to "The Beast" sun shell.
I had a brand new TCI 2400 stall converter that gave me vibration I blamed on other changes I made. When I switched to a Yank 3600 the vibration went away. Recently I had to put the TCI back in for a few months and the vibration was back.
I don't know how common out-of-balance converters are, but that is my very limited experience.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:31 PM

Just very frustrating! What would you guys suggest as a TC. Mind you this is for a every day use pickup. I dont need high performance TC. The one I currently have was purchased at Auto Zone.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:24 PM

Received 424 Likes on 323 Posts

Perhaps a more frequent cause of vibration is the driveshaft. Since it was removed for the trans rebuild, perhaps it was bumped and a balance weight knocked off. Just taking a wild guess here. You might be able to determine where the problem is by determining if the vibration is more closely related to speed or engine rpm.
If speed then the driveshaft is a possibility. Did you change/fix anything else? Brakes, wheels, tires?
If RPM then the TC is a possibility.

A more experienced person really needs to chime in here. There actually are quite a few companies that rebuild torque converters; if you can find one in your area, they might be able to check/correct the balance for you.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:18 PM

A balancing or run out issue could certainly be an issue here. Let me ask this question do you feel this vibration only when the torque converter clutch is applied?
Old 12-18-2012, 05:59 PM

Sorry it took so long to reply, things have been crazy. So it turns that the rear u-joint was the issue. I did not put the inside clips in. I installed new u-joints and old u-joints were sealed using teflon. I installed the retaining clips on the drive shaft, but the rear axle slot uses bolted clamps. So I did not think I needed to install the clips. I WAS WRONG! The clips are used to center the u-joint and stabilize it.

So the vibration is gone, but I still feel the TC, I guess the best way to describe it is, dis-engage when I am coming to a stop. Any ideas. Mind you I did buy the TC @ Auto Zone.

Quick Reply: 4l60E Rebuild