Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

700r4 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700r4 rebuild

I plan on rebuilding my first 700, i've done 2 350s and a 400 that turned out ok. Would somebody look over my parts to see if these parts will work together?

88 firebird core $75
forward frictions 10.65
reverse frictions 10.25
overrun frictions 3.32
corvette servo 9.95
500 boost valve 7.55
tv cable 14.06
filter 5.37
3-4 powerpack 42.74
band 15.88
gasket and seal kit 25.99
ac delco hardened sun shell 29.25
double cage 29 element sprag 19.00
used sprag races, trans had an older 26element 10.00
1-2 accumulator housing 9.35
2 accumulator pistons 5.20
sun shell washer 2.94
transgo separator plate 22.45
2 accumulator white springs 1.95
bushing kit 32.00

That's about it, don't know if i should go with the standard size 3-4 clutches.
I want to put this behind a gto lsi in a vega. How about the capsule with the check ball, can't find much info about it.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:43 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I've never touched a 700r4, but that is a reasonable parts list for a 4L60E; I don't know if the 700r4 has any notorious weak spots other than the sun shell which you are upgrading.
Not sure which capsule/check ball you are referring to. The 3rd accumulator one probably should be replaced in such an old trans; else the 3-4 clutch will fail rapidly.

Looking at your prices I wonder if you are buying from transmissionpartsusa.com. I get many parts from them, but don't buy the 1-2 accumulator housing from them. I just bought one and it was not only clearly used, but the inside had deep scores and was unusable. (I am send them a nastly letter with pictures.) I think that Sonnax makes a sleeve kit which might be a better idea.

Perhaps one of the experienced 700r4 builders can answer your question and/or correct my comments.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:28 PM
Teching In

I got some parts from that place and some from ebay, and i did get the accumulator housing that is scratched. The guy said send it back, that's a lot of trouble for a $9 part. He said he opened the plastic to check the pin size, i'm thinking he had problems and was looking to see how bad it was scratched. The scratches are at the top and i don't think the piston gets that high.
Both accumulator pistons were worn around the pin. The only thing i found wrong with the trans were the 3-4 clutches, could the accumulators leaking cause the 3-4 to slip?
How about the ac delco sun shell, have you used any of the newer ones? They advertise it will last longer than a aftermarket, but they don't say what brand.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have had zero failures with any of the sun shells that have hardened spline areas in stock or VERY mild applications. I dont know how much they will handle because we put smart shells in anything that is abused even a little bit. It's just not worth risking a failure for us. I would lose the 3-4 power pack and do a newer stock 7 clutch setup and it will be just fine. You should be able to order a friction and steel module for a 2001 and up 4l65e and an "overhaul" kit for your actual correct trans and it should work out for you.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:02 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

The new GM 7-friction/steel kit is part # 24244615; it has the highly regarded Borg-Warner Hi-Energy frictions and the best coated steels. While the list price is $74.64, Amazon.com sells it directly for only $37 (free shipping for Prime members).
Old 01-01-2013, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

You may want to double check what sprag you are getting. A borg warner dual cage should run at least $40.

The sprag in your list may be an SKF, which I do not believe is as strong.

You might want to call Dana at pProbuilt Transmissions. His kits are very complete and all parts not only work well but the build list is very similar to what you would get from RPM or Finish line, other than each vendors proprietary valve body recipes.

One other thing is dana's phone support is unparalleled, he frequently answered questions and could be reached after hours and weekends. He will always get my business because you are talking first hand with somone who has been through GM transmissions and talks you through questons without talking down to you.

A lot of other on line vendors are just part sellers and can,t help technically or when you are stepping up power handling, give you a package where all of the parts work together.

Getting the 2-3 to work requires the right separator feeds, servo type, pin travel, and return springs, and pressure regulator. You want a package where all of these are designed to work together.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Teching In

Thanks Mrevit for the tip, i ordered the clutches from amazon.
I have had all parts before i made the first post, now i'm waiting for the new 3-4 clutches and the used sprag races.
Info from builders is worth more than the info in the ads for parts.I'm thinking the hardest part of a rebuild is getting the right combination of parts.
Thanks again to all.

Quick Reply: 700r4 rebuild