Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e slips in 2nd and 3rd WOT...... whats wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4l60e slips in 2nd and 3rd WOT...... whats wrong?

OK guys i rebuilt a trans for an 04 silverado (4l60e) 4x4... all new gaskets and cluches and new 2600 stall...

Rebuild held great for about a week.... then began to slip in 2nd and 3rd. So i pulled it out and found the clutches and the band toast.

So i replaced the clutches, drum (warped), and band... just took it out and its doing it again when you run it WOT....

Really lost on this, anyone have any ideas??????

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 01-21-2013, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Also forgot to mention the trans shifts fine....
It will hold the gear at WOT for a second.... then all of a sudden let go and act like its in neutral.

I know its not the clutch packs as i just put them in... and they hold fine under part throttle.

Only having the issue at WOT...

Could it be the servo?
Old 01-21-2013, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Going to check pump pressure
Old 01-21-2013, 02:10 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Guys, 1BADLS1Tuner originally PM'ed me his problem, but as I don't feel confident diagnosing this, I suggested he post here for more feedback. I suggested checking the pump pressure as it appears everything is slipping.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

I havent recieved my trans pressure guage to test the tran pressure yet but i will post results as soon as i get them.... might help someone else later on with a similar issue.

For as cheap as they are it will be a good tool to have around!

Ive never had as many issues with the 60e as i am on this one, its one thing after another.....

The only advice i can give to anyone on these transmissions is to do the 4l80e swap if you can afford it. I have swapped and rebuilt many of them and not one has failed yet and they are abused daily.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

I FINALLY am going to get to check the trans pressure tonight.... my friend and i actually have a time when we can get together to test it...

Has to be either the new converter or the pump.... guessing its the pump hahahaha!

I will post test results tonight!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:01 PM

Good luck.
A 11mm or 7/16" wrench will remove the line port on the driver's side. A racheting box wrench works well.
Remember to keep the long hose off the exhaust system. A couple tie-wraps do the trick.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Ok guys here is the pressures...

60ish at idle park
wot in park jumps to 180-210 then immediately drops back to 60ish

if i take force motor with HPtuners and turn it on to 0MA it goes to 185ish at 650ish MA it goes to basically no pressure....

What am i looking at fixing? the pump?
Old 02-02-2013, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

reverse idle is 90psi
reverse 1500 rpm is 95psi
Drive 60psi
drive 1500 rpm 60psi
Old 02-02-2013, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by 1BADLS1tuner
Ok guys here is the pressures...

60ish at idle park
wot in park jumps to 180-210 then immediately drops back to 60ish

if i take force motor with HPtuners and turn it on to 0MA it goes to 185ish at 650ish MA it goes to basically no pressure....

What am i looking at fixing? the pump?
The first numbers look good for a stock trans with a stock boost valve. And reverse will be higher because the reverse fluid moves the boost valve a bit.

However, you say that setting the force motor to 650+ mA drops the pressure below 50psi? I cannot test that myself now, but that sounds wrong; pressure should never go below 50psi. What does HP Tuners show as the mA at idle?

It sounds like your pump is good. If your pressure really does go below 50psi, there is something wrong with the boost valve, pressure regulator valve, the force motor (also called pressure control solenoid) or the AFL valve in the valve body.
The good news is these are all fixable without removing the trans; but I don't know if the current slippage has already damaged the frictions.

TRANS experts: Am I wrong or missing something?
Old 02-03-2013, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mrvedit
The first numbers look good for a stock trans with a stock boost valve. And reverse will be higher because the reverse fluid moves the boost valve a bit.

However, you say that setting the force motor to 650+ mA drops the pressure below 50psi? I cannot test that myself now, but that sounds wrong; pressure should never go below 50psi. What does HP Tuners show as the mA at idle?

It sounds like your pump is good. If your pressure really does go below 50psi, there is something wrong with the boost valve, pressure regulator valve, the force motor (also called pressure control solenoid) or the AFL valve in the valve body.
The good news is these are all fixable without removing the trans; but I don't know if the current slippage has already damaged the frictions.

TRANS experts: Am I wrong or missing something?
Ok thanks for all your help! I appreciate it!

I took the force motor tables in the tune and boosted them a little and everything is working great, no slipping or anything!

i get around 80 psi at idle and around 225-230 WOT!

He will keep driving it till something happens (if anything happens).... I will update again if somethihng else goes wrong!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:20 AM

Those are excellent pressures for idle and WOT.
Do you have a stock boost valve or a larger .500 one?

I don't quite understand how you can get 225 WOT when you got only 185 at 0 mA; I get 225 at WOT and 225 at 0 mA.

But hey, if it is all working now, be happy and don't worry about such tiny details.

And congratulations on successfully rebuilding the trans!

I'll bet you learned a lot in the process and are proud of your accomplishment.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Those are excellent pressures for idle and WOT.
Do you have a stock boost valve or a larger .500 one?

I don't quite understand how you can get 225 WOT when you got only 185 at 0 mA; I get 225 at WOT and 225 at 0 mA.

But hey, if it is all working now, be happy and don't worry about such tiny details.

And congratulations on successfully rebuilding the trans!

I'll bet you learned a lot in the process and are proud of your accomplishment.
I dont understand it either! lol

With HPtuners Changing it to 0 MA in the SCANNER it only got 185 when i changed it in the TUNE (about 80% of the values) it got 225-230..... IDK but it worked LOL

Ya ive rebuilt quite a few 4l60e and 4l80e transmissions.... this is the ONLY one ive had a problems with it was a PITA, did get to learned some stuff this time around! And i finally got a trans pressure guage, i will use it on every unit i do now to check things over

3-4 burnup and sunshell have been the problems on the ones i have rebuilt...never tore one down that had any other problems (yet lol)

I rebuilt a 60e i had in my turbo TA about 5 times befor i got the 80E lol

Thanks again for the help and advice!

Quick Reply: 4l60e slips in 2nd and 3rd WOT...... whats wrong?