Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e help needed BADLY!!!!!!!

Old 01-21-2013, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e help needed BADLY!!!!!!!

i have a 1993 4l60e in a z71 4x4. not a race truck just daily driver.. lost the 3/4 clutchs. all outher gears worked fine. tore tranny down went with a master rebuild kit. every thing inside is new and was put in by a tranny man. so i take it all put in right. put back in truck now it goes forward in park,neutral and all forward positions but binds in reverse. like its in forward and reverse at same time.. doesnt stall moter. im not a tranny man so any help would be great.. thanks to all
Old 01-21-2013, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something is causing the forward clutches to be engaged all the time. Has to either be something assembled incorrectly in the input drum causing the clutches to be mechanically bound or a hydrauluc issue.

IF you are 100 positive that the input clutch assy was assembled correctly I would look at the valve body gaskets or seperator plate. Was the valve body or the seperator plate replaced. Maybe a missing checkball im not 100% sure, I dont have the hydraulic diagrams in front of me and I have never had this issue so its a bit of a new issue in my mind.

Oh also a missing or damaged teflon ring on the input shaft, mismatched pump body halves or stator support etc.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:55 AM
Launching!

Make sure the linkage is properly adjusted, also is the manual valve hooked up correctly inside the unit?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:05 AM

Received 385 Likes on 294 Posts

Certainly does sound like the forward clutches are always applied.
While dropping the valve body to check the gaskets and check ***** is the easiest thing to do, I suspect the input drum was assembled incorrectly and there is no clearance for the forward clutches.

Are you sure Neutral is really neutral? Put it in Neutral and see if the car drives normally. That is a sign the Forward clutches are always applied.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:13 AM

thank guys for all the imput!!!!!! still at war with this thing....did find theres NO clerance in the imput clutchs.. there very tight.. dont think this is right...should the output shaft turn eaither way????? it will if the imput drum is not in tranny but when i reinstall it it turns 1 way but not the outher.. truck all together and in neutral it wont roll bacwards. locks up like in park without truck running.. sorry to be a pain but aint goin to let this thing win!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:40 AM

Received 385 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by jwarren86
thank guys for all the imput!!!!!! still at war with this thing....did find theres NO clerance in the imput clutchs.. there very tight.. dont think this is right...should the output shaft turn eaither way????? it will if the imput drum is not in tranny but when i reinstall it it turns 1 way but not the outher.. truck all together and in neutral it wont roll bacwards. locks up like in park without truck running.. sorry to be a pain but aint goin to let this thing win!!!!!!!!!!!
The output shaft will turn in both directions, quite easy one way, but it is about 3 times harder in the other direction.
You say there is no clearance in the input drum clutches - does that mean you have the trans out and apart? Then why not just rebuild the input drum. Get the ATSG manual and follow it carefully. Perhaps there is an extra steel in the overrun clutch.

From the highly recommended "GM Automatic OVerdrive Transmission Builder's and Swapper's Guide":
"The factory upgraded this areas of the transmission and two different friction and steel arrangements were used for both the overrunning and forward clutch packs. These components will not interchange".
(However, I think this applies to even earlier years than yours.)

Even with the band installed, the output shaft must turn both ways.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4l60e help needed BADLY!!!!!!!