Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Cooler Results

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Cooler Results

Just thought I would share my results and experience. I have a 98 Trans am with the A4 transmission and I have been monitoring my transmission temps for about a year with my Scan Gauge II. I was shocked when I found the transmission fluid reached temps as high as 200-205°F during hot days and on long highway drives it would hover around 195°F. My day to day trips would max the trans fluid temp out at around 165-170°F on a 6 mile hwy/city mix. So I decided to buy and install an aftermarket trans cooler. I researched all about different options and read how to's on installing them. I decided to get the 14,400BTU B&M trans cooler from WS6store.com. I decided after all the reading to install it in series with the stock cooler. I received the cooler and was unimpressed with the hose that came with the kit, so I went out to a local gasket and hose specialty shop and bought 7 feet of 3/8" 300PSI high temp oil hose. After reading some other how to's I also purchased some fuel injection hose clamps to use instead of the worm gear style clamps. I installed the cooler in front of the condenser instead of "Dope Style". Just my preference. "Dope Style" just looks lazy and rigged IMO. Anyway after installing everything and checking for leaks I took it for a test drive. I took about a 17 mile round trip drive. About 11 miles of it was highway and the other 6 were city. During the hwy drive the trans temps maxed out at 145°F after about 8 miles of driving. I then did two quick 0-90mph runs and the temps still held. I then cut through some neighborhoods with lots of speed bumps and stop signs where temps creeped slowly up to 150°F before leveling out. I got out inspected all my connections to find no leaks and out of curiosity I decided to touch the tranny cooler. The cooler was of course warm to the touch, but not so warm that I couldn't hold my hand there. This coolers has dropped my transmission temps by 25-35°F degrees overall. Needless to say I was very impressed by the difference. I must recommend it to anyone running an automatic transmission.

Last edited by 88gtman; 02-28-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:38 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Thank you for posting your results; the are impressive, but also in line with what I would expect. A trans cooler is even more important to people run a higher-stall converter.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, I am hoping to install a stall later on down the road.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Added photo of the cooler install to the original post.

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler Results