Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

remote transmission filter kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote transmission filter kit

I have been searching and cannot find the information i am looking for. I have a 99 trans am, rebuilt 4l60e, aftermarket flat tube and fin cooler and a truck pan with a drain plug. My question is if you install a transmission remote filter can you remove your stock filter? What do you replace it with for the suction tube? Can you just "gut" out the stock filter and use as a suction tube, and i have a oil filter relocation kit off of a 4wd s10 will that work with an oil filter due to fact the b and m kit (80277) uses the fram ph8A oil filter as a transmisison filter. I suppose oil filter will hold up to transmission fluid?
Old 02-27-2013, 04:54 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

The big question to me is "why"?
Unlike an engine, the trans is a closed system - in theory there should be nothing to filter and some modern cars have a 100,000 mile filter change interval.
While an external cooler is important for long life, an external filter will not extend life at all.
I suspect the opposite - it will be one more potential point of failure or fluid leak.
Since trans fluid runs at a higher pressure, I would not assume that an oil filter will hold up to trans fluid. I certainly do not know that as a fact, and would like to hear from someone that knows.
But the question still is: Why?
Old 03-03-2013, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvedit
The big question to me is "why"?
Unlike an engine, the trans is a closed system - in theory there should be nothing to filter and some modern cars have a 100,000 mile filter change interval.
While an external cooler is important for long life, an external filter will not extend life at all.
I suspect the opposite - it will be one more potential point of failure or fluid leak.
Since trans fluid runs at a higher pressure, I would not assume that an oil filter will hold up to trans fluid. I certainly do not know that as a fact, and would like to hear from someone that knows.
But the question still is: Why?
the answer to why is i will be changing the fluid and filter every 10k miles due to the fact i drive my car pretty hard when i do drive it. It was just an idea of mine to make it easier to change and catches more contaminates thats all.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DO NOT REMOVE THE IN TRANNY FILTER !!!

its the pickup tube and first line of defence in the system before it hits the pump . if you happen to have somthing break or chip off and suck it up with no filter you send trash directly to the pump .

the add on filter is a great thing to do if you are maint minded . i added one to my 1ton 4x4 plow truck . at the same time it let me add a temp sender to see just how hot i am working the tranny since i plumbed it in the hot line out from the tranny .

if you dont like the fram filter since there junk these days then cross it over to a wix # and be good to go with a QUALITY filter . wix 1515

i also install a temp port valve so it directs fluid as stock till it hits 180 then it opens the valve inside to direct to the ext oil cooler . since to cold a fluid is also a bad thing . you should still run it threw radiator to help warm up to temp if still a street drivin vehicle .

here is a good chart for auto tranny fluid temp life span .

and some cars / trucks / suv's now have no fluid change service plan . if its bad its dead . thats it .
Attached Thumbnails remote transmission filter kit-heat-chart.jpg  
Old 03-03-2013, 07:50 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

sweetk30: Interesting and elaborate way to cool the tranny and keep track of its temperature.

I am curious if anyone else feels the need to change their trans fluid every 10,000 miles? I assume that if it stays under 200F, it basically lasts until it has too much friction plate crud in it.

Quick Reply: remote transmission filter kit