Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I bought a transbrake button,....now what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I bought a transbrake button,....now what?

So I have a new transbrake button to mount on my shifter, and I just realised I have no clue where to run the wiring or what to do in the slightest. This is as noobish as it gets. I did a search then did another. It was all talking about where to mount it, and how to install, or about the ACTUAL trans brake which I already have installed and ready for my input.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have to do the same soon, which transbrake do you have? On mine I have to tap into a wire and connect it to a relay button so when its engaged it will lock 1st and reverse. But I've never used a transbrake so I'm still learning (forced learning curve)

That's the only way to learn when you have no help lol
Old 03-08-2013, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Burken01
I have to do the same soon, which transbrake do you have? On mine I have to tap into a wire and connect it to a relay button so when its engaged it will lock 1st and reverse. But I've never used a transbrake so I'm still learning (forced learning curve)

That's the only way to learn when you have no help lol
I've learned, "**** it, maybe it will work" goes with those a lot. LOL

Last edited by lemons12; 03-08-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:03 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Which trans brake, the manual low gear, or the new one?

The old ones wiring and use instructions on are Jake's site.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
I've learned, "**** it, maybe it will work" goes with those a lot. LOL
ha it does, alot of people on this site are building 10 and 9 second cars with zero to little experience sometimes... lol its like a video game..
Old 03-09-2013, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

From what I have gathered so far, there should be a pigtail hanging from the transmission somewhere that connects to the valve/solenoid or something for me to run the wiring from my button to.

I have the new style TransBrake/ D3 so I can launch in basically any gear although I will be leaving it in 3rd.

I went to radio shack looking for a double pull double throw switch that way I could use the same button for the line lock then switch it over to the Trans brake but there selection was rather thin. I found some neat lightup switches though that would fit.

I think I will just run two separate switches. I do not want to do a drop stick because I get nervous it would drop on the button somehow. I have never seen what happens when someone hits the trans brake while moving but I can imagine its not good. I ordered this one so far. May switch if anyone has better suggestions.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My trans brake won't engage unless the car is physically in 1st gear, but it's basically like hitting a brick wall and skidding..lol. As to hooking it up, it's as simple as you have found out. The TB solenoid is very obvious, it's in the right side of the trans with 2 wires hanging out.

Quick Reply: I bought a transbrake button,....now what?