Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single or Multi Disc Lock Up Converter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single or Multi Disc Lock Up Converter?

Im getting a Precision Industries Vigilante 9.5" 2800 stall converter for my 05 GTO and am wondering if i should go with a single or multi disc lock up. I drive the car daily, but it will see the strip atleast once a month. I will have a cam, heads, intake, LT's, etc.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

a single disk converter would be fine for what you want to do. if you are planning on locking it at wot or going with big power then you need the multidisk
Old 05-05-2013, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

According to advice I have been given by my tuner (as I had a similar question): As long as the trans tune disengages the lock up over 40-60% throttle you should not need to worry about over powering the lock up. However, if you force it to lock up and have enough power to over power it, you will burn it up and will need a rebuilt converter.

A triple disc is really only needed if you intend to go for top speed events where no slip might gain you a few mph - such as a standing mile or flying mile - then you'd benefit, otherwise it's just a part throttle economy/efficiency thing. Some may also use it on the 1/4 mile but it'd take steep gears and lots of power to take advantage of it on the top end.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:27 PM

Received 423 Likes on 322 Posts

^^^^ I agree.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by car15_13
Im getting a Precision Industries Vigilante 9.5" 2800 stall converter for my 05 GTO and am wondering if i should go with a single or multi disc lock up. I drive the car daily, but it will see the strip atleast once a month. I will have a cam, heads, intake, LT's, etc.
I have a single 3,600 yank in my corvette. I could dd if I wanted and I run at the eighth every now n then. Push about 700rw. No problem i don't tune my car so I couldn't help any about that. So the single gets my vote.

Quick Reply: Single or Multi Disc Lock Up Converter?