Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

big gap between tc and flexplate

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big gap between tc and flexplate

ok guys, this has propably been answered alot, but i want to make sure. I've got a 71 chevelle with a 98 ls1 and 4l60e. A while back my tranny went out and found a great deal on a rebuilt 98 tranny, so I thought since it was a 98, that everything would go back perfect. Well it came out of a truck so I knew i had to swap bellhousing. Long story short, I got everything to mate up, but there is like a 1 inch gap between flexplate and torque converter, so I figured out it was the older model 4l60e, and i know that they make a spacer to correct the gap, but what i am wanting to know is , the gap seems way to big or is that normal? And another question, if I put in the spacer between my flexplate and crank, would that bring my flex plate out to far so that my starter wouldn't engage?
Old 06-15-2013, 10:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Take some pics of the trans input shaft, torque converter and flexplate setup and we can help. Not sure what trans style you have.

Chris
Old 06-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no it wont affect the flywheel and starter
Old 06-20-2013, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

A '98 truck transmission will have a 298mm converter and it's associated shorter input shaft and stator support. Your LS1 transmission used a 300mm converter, which used the longer input shaft and stator support. If you swapped bell housings, you'll have a very large gap in there because the truck converter is smaller.

Simply put...it won't work. You need to get the right transmission for an LS engine so that you can use the right converter.

Quick Reply: big gap between tc and flexplate