Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e no reverse. 95 z28

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e no reverse. 95 z28

Hello, I cannot find a good answer from my searches. All forward gears work fine, no noise/slipping. 1st gear, as well as other gears, has proper engine braking. Trans shifted into "1" has engine braking and works fine. There is no reverse though. Revving the engine in reverse causes no movement or shaking/noise.

I'm not sure the name, but I was guessing that it may be the one way clutch? Sprag clutch? Would that cause the situation I have?

The transmission was rebuilt recently, albeit the cheapest one I could find. It worked fine until reverse just left one day.

Any help before I tear into it would be great.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:22 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

If everything else is working, then No Reverse is likely a bad teflon ring on the stator shaft which runs in the reverse drum. It can also be a bad seal in the reverse drum. Either way, the trans will have to be removed, although it doesn't take much disassembly to fix it. The inside surface of the Reverse drum should be checked very carefully too, and likely the Reverse drum should be replaced (an expense a cheap rebuild will try to avoid).

Quick Reply: 4l60e no reverse. 95 z28