Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rev limiter on 2-3 shift...problem SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 01:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rev limiter on 2-3 shift...problem SOLVED

Well, this is going to sound really strange, but overfilling the transmission by about 1.25 quarts of fluid made the problem DISAPPEAR.

I was having massive hitting of the rev limiter on the 2-3 gear change at WOT. The 3-4 clutch pack was NOT slipping. The transmission would reach the top of 2nd gear, hit the rev limiter and then shift firmly into 3rd gear.

I replaced my 3-4 clutch pack with a new one a week ago. The 2-3 rev limit problem existed before the old 3-4 pack burned up. When I got the car back together last week, the transmission accidentally got overfilled. It shifted perfectly on the 2-3 gear change when I test drove the car. Then, I drained the fluid out and filled it to the correct level and the 2-3 rev limiter problem returned. I didn't figure out what was going on at the time I just thought something was still wrong with the transmission causing it to do the rev limiter thing. I didn't understand why it would shift right a few times and then start screwing up again. Then I got to thinking hell...what's it going to hurt to try overfilling it again?

I came home from work today, filled 'er up a bit over full and went for a test drive. The 2-3 shift at WOT was flawless every time. It must be sucking air for a split second when the transmission is filled to the correct level or something.

I like transmission problems that can be solved with a 2 dollar bottle of fluid and a funnel
Old 04-29-2004, 06:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would like to see what happens after you drive for a while cause to many people have had the same problem here and I think one or two people have overfilled the tranny on accident and I wouldn"t want people to read this and start overfilling theirs when they might have other problems.dont know if overfilling hurts or not but someone here will let us know soon I'm willing to bet? Glad to here that your problems are fixed now wish everyone that had a problem could be fixed for $2 .......
Old 04-29-2004, 07:55 PM
10 Second Club

I definately wouldn't go and overfill your tranny to fix another problem, that's a bandaid fix. Try the deep pan mod and see if that cures it...

Dan
Old 04-29-2004, 08:13 PM
10 Second Club

I'm going to get the deep pan for sure.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

I had that prob last year. I've just installed a new cooler and the B&M deep pan. I haven't checked the 3-4 clutch pack. Going to the track tuesday. I'll let ya guys know if the deep pan will fix it.