Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e dtc p0758

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e dtc p0758

Hey everyone. Out of the blue in the last couple days I started having intermitten tranny problems with my 99 Camaro Z28, 4L60E Tranny. Today is Monday for reference to explain...

Back on Friday, started the car about midday on my lunch break from work and the SES light came on. Prior to that the car had been running fine. The car went into second gear when I put the car in OD and would not up or downshift when accelerating or deccelerating. The car struggled to torque forward when coming from a dead stop. Stopped for 5 minutes at a store and when I got back in the car, the tranny was running back to normal with normal shifts, etc. A short time later I was able to use a code reader and had 3 DTC's...P0137, P0157, and P0758. I cleared the codes to see if they would come back driving back to work and nothing the rest of the day. The car and tranny operated normally.

The car sat all weekend without being driven, then this morning I started the car up for work, and the exact same problem as midday on Friday. Car reversed out of the driveway fine, but when I put in OD, it seemed to go straight into 2nd gear. Car struggled to torque forward from a dead stop. No upshifts or down shifts at speeds. The car had to be driven 25 minutes on local roads and then turned off for about 5 minutes. Once the car started back up, everything operated normally again without issue.

Finally again on my lunch break today, I had the same thing as Friday happen. This time the only DTC the code reader read was P0758. For all the tranny experts out there, any clue as to what could be going on here? My gut is telling me this feels more like an electrical/PCM problem than an actual tranny problem because if it was a tranny problem this would be constant, but it may be wishful thinking on my part.

Any ideas as to what could be happening here and how to fix?

Thanks.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:07 PM

Received 424 Likes on 323 Posts

P0758 indicates one of the shift solenoids has failed. When that happens, the computer (PCM) puts the trans into "limp mode" which means just 3rd gear. Starting in 3rd gear is why the car struggles from a stop.

P0758 is specifically the 2-3 shift solenoid (also call Solenoid B). However, since solenoids are only $15 each and it is a bit of a pain to drop the pan which is full of fluid, I would suggest replacing both shift solenoids. (You also won't replace the wrong one then.)

They are pretty easy to replace yourself. After dropping the pan, you only need a very small slotted screwdriver to pull the retaining pins out. Push each solenoid in a bit when pulling the pin. Solenoid A is under about a pound of spring pressure.

Quick Reply: 4l60e dtc p0758