Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommend me a trans?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 12:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's not a matter of taking power. its a matter of gearing. you missed the first part of the thread.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:25 AM

Received 424 Likes on 323 Posts

If you are looking at road course type racing, then the 1st gear ratio isn't that important.
A very built Level-5+ 4L60E to handle 600HP will cost $4000 due to the billet input/output shaft, special input drum and other premium parts. But it works perfectly with any LSx engine and is reasonably small. However lots of members here have $2000 transmissions and run 500HP through them with hundreds of drag strip runs. If you aren't going to run drag tires or R-compound racing tires, a Level-2 trans for $2000 from a sponsor (RPM, FLT, Performabuilt) should be sufficient.

PM me if you want to talk by phone.
My "bucket list" includes swapping an LSx into a 5-series BMW.
I currently have an '81 Camaro swapped with an LS2 and 4L65E.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:44 PM
Launching!

Am I missing something? Why would you even be considering an auto trans for road racing? I was always told that the manual trans was best for road course style racing and autos were for the strip. I'm confused.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BWZ_2k2Z28
Am I missing something? Why would you even be considering an auto trans for road racing? I was always told that the manual trans was best for road course style racing and autos were for the strip. I'm confused.
Well formula 1 cars have pattle shifters autos but NASCAR had a 5speed what makes them alike is that they can control what gear they are in which is key. So your right on the path IMO.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:56 AM
Launching!

Two quick questions, I don't want to hijack the thread. So its possible to modify the 4l60e for the use of paddle shifters? Also, if you could, I get that your shifts would be more consistent because it would be nearly impossible to miss a shift. but would shifting with the paddle, then the time it takes for the computer to recognize what paddle has been hit, and the time it takes for the computer to tell the trans to shift be quicker than the time it takes to shift with the common center console gearbox?

Quick Reply: Recommend me a trans?