Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 4l65e - adding TCC to a switch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 4l65e - adding TCC to a switch?

I have a LQ9 with a 4l65e transmission from a 2005 GMC Sierra which I´m installing in to a Suzuki truck, Is it possible to wire a switch to the pcm to engage the torque clutch converter manually? This car will mostly been driven in heavy snow conditions, so manual control of the tcc would be an awesome feature.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:21 AM
Teching In

Has no one done it before?

Would it be a bad idea to wire up the "performance" switch to J1-71 and alter the table (using HPtuners) for performance mode to engage the TCC at all times in 2, 3 and 4th gear (no table for 1st)?
Old 10-24-2013, 04:49 PM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

Unless someone knows the answer, I need to study if the PWM/TCC solenoid (in valve body) also needs to be activated to provide fluid to the TCC solenoid in the pump.

Exactly why do you want to do this?
Are you aware that WOT will destroy the lock clutch in most converters?
(You need a $1000+ triple clutch converter to hold WOT).

In other words, you need to PCM to instantly unlock the converter when you go WOT.
If you have HP Tuners you should be able to program the TCC any way you want.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Unless someone knows the answer, I need to study if the PWM/TCC solenoid (in valve body) also needs to be activated to provide fluid to the TCC solenoid in the pump.

Exactly why do you want to do this?
Are you aware that WOT will destroy the lock clutch in most converters?
(You need a $1000+ triple clutch converter to hold WOT).

In other words, you need to PCM to instantly unlock the converter when you go WOT.
If you have HP Tuners you should be able to program the TCC any way you want.
Yes, it I know wot would not be good on the locked TTC. We are thinking it might be good in heavy snow, when you need to hold a steady but really low speed (1-10mph) to get the car to float on top of the snow, for example if the snow is really wet but has a thin layer of ice on top. Or if you are driving fast in heavy powder snow on deflated tires (2-5psi tire pressure), on 50-70% throttle to keep the speed up, it could be nice to have the TTC lock up to reduce heat building up in the transmission.

Here is a pic of the vehicle (so you can better realize what its purpose is), it has not yet been driven with the LQ9, but it had chevy 350tbi before

Last edited by einarak; 10-25-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:10 PM

The solenoid in the pump has battery power with ignition and the computer is what sends the ground signal. So with that being said find the ground wire in your harness and toggle it to ground. HTH Vince
Old 10-26-2013, 10:54 PM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by einarak
Yes, it I know wot would not be good on the locked TTC....
Here is a pic of the vehicle (so you can better realize what its purpose is), it has not yet been driven with the LQ9, but it had chevy 350tbi before.
Ok, I now understand this is a special-purpose vehicle.

However reading page 62A of the Hydramatic 4L60E Technicians Guide makes me think that both TCC Solenoid and the TCC PWM Solenoid need to be activated for the lockup clutch to apply. The "main" Converter Clutch Valve is in the pump and is activated by the TCC valve in the Valve body which is controlled by the TCC PWM Solenoid. The simple TCC solenoid (the long-boided one wired into the harness) only controls whether the Converter Clutch Valve is even open to the apply fluid from the valve body.

The TCC PWM Solenoid is not an on/off device, it require an square-wave signal from the PCM. You might be able to replace it the the on/off solenoid from a pre-95 (non-PWM) transmission, but I don't know how much else would need to change.

Another solution might be to tune the PCM to enable the TCC lockup under nearly all conditions and then run the simple TCC Solenoid signal through an on/off switch on the dash. When OFF, the converter never locks; when ON, the converter locks as tuned.

Quick Reply: 2005 4l65e - adding TCC to a switch?