Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l80e swap

So a little background, I have an 88 Toyota Pickup rockcrawler with a tbi 4.3 and a 4l80e in it. The 4l80e is currently being controlled by a homemade transmission controller that I'd like to do away with if possible. I just bought a 99 5.3 to put in the truck and got the wire harness and everything with it. It has the pcm out of the 99 silverado 1500 it came out of. After doing some research, I stumbled upon the 4l80e segment swap. I got with the guy at lt1swap.com and I believe I will have him do a mail order tune on my pcm (remove vats egr etc.) He says he can also do the segment swap. What I can't seem to find is what to do about the wiring. I know they make adapters, but I'm modifying this entire wire harness so It wouldn't make sense to use an adapter when I can just wire it the right way. I guess the big question is, do I simply figure out what pcm/vehicle he is copying the 4l80e segment and find a pinout of that pcm and wire all trans related connectors accordingly? Has nobody done a writeup on this? Thanks!
Old 11-23-2013, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Have I posted this in the wrong spot?
Old 11-23-2013, 10:31 PM
11 Second Club

Default Plug & Play Conversion Harness

This is the Plug & Play Harness that i used to convert my 4l60e to a 4l80e transmission. My tuner had to download a TRUCK 4l80e segment file into my 1998 camaro pcm to operate my new 4l80e transmission.

This harness was a 100 percent plug & play conversion harness.
I have a 4l80e Billet lockup converter & it works perfect also.

This is the easiest & best way to control your 4l80e.

Contact one of the sales reps at pcmforless for your application.
There new site is not working correctly.

Dont try to re-wire or re- pin. You do not have to do this with the pcmforless conversion harness. The Engineers have done this for you & it works Perfect. It was worth the 130.00 for sure.

Click on the link below & call them for your application.

http://www.pcmforless.com/index.php?...tion&Itemid=47
Old 11-24-2013, 11:45 AM
Teching In

NOS, thanks for the reply. I have found similar products but buying one would put me over budget on my swap. I am fairly certain that the adapter simply switches a few wires for you, something easily done with a small screwdriver or the actual pin removal tool. I don't feel that pcmforless is trying to rip anyone off by any means, I just feel that I can do it myself much cheaper. (cost of the two connectors pcmforless uses in their adapter run about 100 dollars alone, so 30 bucks for labor, overhead, etc, isn't a bad deal at all) Does anyone know what year make model the segment is typically taken from to do this swap, with that information I could possibly find the ecm pin out and cross refrence the pin out I currently have. Thanks
Old 11-25-2013, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Hey guys, an update for you. I finally found a link that had what I needed in it. Here it is, http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...g-swap-413157/ maybe someone else can find it useful.

Quick Reply: 4l80e swap