Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I maybe incorrectly assumed that he was getting 11 volts on the tps ground circuit. Since I dont know how he went about testing this, you could understand my response in thinking he had a short to b+ on the ground side of the tps. A simple voltage drop test with the tps unplugged would have confirmed circuit integrity.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:22 PM

Received 424 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by jt_2002_ta
so when it did get bad readings and the ses light was on it maxed out line pressure and that is why it seemed ok?
Yes, that is my hypothesis.

Originally Posted by jt_2002_ta
i mean its fine for a minute then no movement. turn off, immediately start up and fine for a bit. just seems like if it was transmission damage it would not move at all
A worn pump might be causing you to lose e.g. 30 psi. So when the PCM commands 50psi, you are getting only 20psi which is too low to run the trans. Once a sensor says the load is higher (or a sensor malfunctions) and the PCM commands a higher pressure, the trans works.

The only way to tell for sure is to hook up a pressure gauge to the trans. Any trans shop can do this for you and some might not even charge for it. They then plug in a scanner and command different pressures and see what the actual pressure is.

Sorry, but I do think there is something wrong with your trans because the PCM cannot command such a low pressure that the car will not move.
Again, this is only my hypothesis based on your descriptions and I could be wrong.

==> We assume you have checked the fluid level. You probably know this, but it has to be checked with the engine running.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should check your transmission fluid oil level, but make sure you drive it at least 15 minutes and let it stand idle for a while than run through the gears and check fluid. I was having slipping problems into 1st gear and car would stop at a light having to restart car. Finally i did what i mentioned and i needed to add 1quart and 1/4 of quart and problem has been solved, i was having these problems after doing a transmission pan fluid change. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: transmission problem