Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60e problem. Burnt 3-4 clutch pack.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60e problem. Burnt 3-4 clutch pack.

Hi,
My name is Bart and I am writing from Poland.
I have a 1995 Pontiac Trans Am and few days ago my transmission broke.
The 3-4 clutch pack burned. I opened it and saw that "spring grip" is cracked.

My question is can I assemble it without these springs?
I have read that US builders assemble this clutch pack without springs because of better shifting. Is that true or am I wrong?

I have second question. What do I need for a 3-4 clutch pack rebuild. My transmission had a big rebuild 3 yeard ago and lots of parts had been changed.
I bought this set: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRUTECH-RAYBESTOS-GPZ100-3-4-CLUTCH-REBUILD-KIT-1988-2003-4L60E-700R4-TRUTECH-/261204562468?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd1015224&vxp=mtr
Is it enought? Do I need something else? My friend said to change 2-4 band. Is is needed?

Thanks for Your answers and please forgive my language is not good enough. ;-)
Old 04-06-2014, 12:54 PM

Received 388 Likes on 297 Posts

First, your 3/4 clutch rebuild kit looks good as it has the excellent GPZ100 frictions and seems to have the gaskets needed for a partial rebuild. Personally I would add a new set of separator plate gaskets as it is very hard to remove/install the band without at least loosening the valve body.
Also, trutechtrans is an excellent supplier that I have recommended many times here and other members have been very happy with.

You do NOT need to use the springs in your picture (called the 3/4 load release springs). Many (most?) builders do not use them. I suspect they really don't make much difference.

If you haven't already ordered the rebuild kit, I would add a band to it, but if it is only 3 years old and you don't race the car, it might not be worth the high shipping cost for a separate order to Poland.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:44 PM

Thank You very much for Your answer. It's very helpful for me. :-)
I can get the separator plate gaskets and band in my country. I bought Trutech set because in Poland I couldn't get the 3-4 piston and we have only Borg Warner frictions. I wanted Raybestos one :-D

Thank You once again.

Greetings from Poland
Bart
Old 04-11-2014, 05:45 AM
TECH Resident

IF you still need parts I would order the Alto Red Eagle clutches & Kolene steels PowerPak So you can fit 9 clutches in there & get the clearances to like .040...
Also get a TransGo HD2 kit if you havent already!!!

Im still debating the 3-4 boost springs myself!!! Depends on Who ya ask on that one LoL My 2 cents is leanin to the whole if youve got parts left over you didnt put it together right Unless the 2 trans shops Im callin tom. say leave em out!!!
Old 04-11-2014, 03:36 PM

Received 388 Likes on 297 Posts

I am not aware of any pro builders still using the Alto Red frictions for the 3/4 clutch. Even those that sell them on their website or ebay do not use them in their own rebuilds.
The BW Hi-Energy or Raybestos GPZ seem to be the preferred frictions. The Raybestos Blue frictions are another choice, but you need to give them .005-.007 clearance PER friction and even then should not expect 50,000 miles out of them. (EDIT: I personally use Red frictions for the other clutches, just not the 3/4 clutch based on what several pros suggested.)

I've talked to a lot of pro builders and would say that 70% leave the 3-4 load release springs out. With Blue (or Red) frictions which tend to stick to each other a bit more than the Brown frictions, I would leave them in. They will only reduce friction wear a tiny bit in 1st and 2nd gear, but nobody drives many miles in those. Stock rebuild started to leave them out to improve the 2-3 shift speed, but with a shift kit with higher line pressure and drilled separator plate, the shift speed will be much faster. These springs only exert about 3 lbs of force and the 3/4 piston will exert about 800 lbs.

Last edited by mrvedit; 04-12-2014 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Clarify

Quick Reply: 4L60e problem. Burnt 3-4 clutch pack.