Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing transmission lines

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing transmission lines

Trying to remove radiator. I'm slightly confused as what line(s) I need to remove. I got upper and lower radiator hoses off. Now it looks like there's 2 more lines on the passenger side. I've read being a4, those are trans lines. One I unhooked for a second and had what I'm guessing is transmission fluid (oil like) come out so I put it back in. The other looks like it goes to the condenser and not the radiator. Do these both need to come off? I'm not seeing any c clamps like I've read. This is all that's preventing me from removing my leaking radiator
Removing transmission lines-image.jpg
Old 05-09-2014, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The C-clamps are on the transmission side. (PITA) Just unbolt the transmission cooler lines where you are looking. Yes, they both need to come off to take the radiator out. The Hose clamp-metal is the lower one. You'll have the other line on the top of the radiator. Sounds like you already removed that one.

Originally Posted by Swoop Dogg
Trying to remove radiator. I'm slightly confused as what line(s) I need to remove. I got upper and lower radiator hoses off. Now it looks like there's 2 more lines on the passenger side. I've read being a4, those are trans lines. One I unhooked for a second and had what I'm guessing is transmission fluid (oil like) come out so I put it back in. The other looks like it goes to the condenser and not the radiator. Do these both need to come off? I'm not seeing any c clamps like I've read. This is all that's preventing me from removing my leaking radiator
Attachment 450853
Old 05-09-2014, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

You're gonna lose some fluid, no way around it. Unscrew both lines and let em drip.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thank you!! It took some wiggling but I got it out without the fans and just gotta go pick up a replacement. Should be way easier to install now that I know what I'm doing. Anyone care to chime in on replacements? I need this up and running soon as I can so it's looking like spectra (autozone) Murray (oreilly) or napa (napa brand). I'll most likely get a 97 lt1 radiator as several members recommend it over the ls1 radiator. Napa one is $60 more than the autozone or oreilly one...

Quick Reply: Removing transmission lines