Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 12:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which one? I cant make up my mind. Will be DD and pull stuff with it. The TRUTECH LEVEL 2 COMPLETE PERFORMANCE OVERHAUL 94-02, Trutech 4L60E Stock Plus Overhaul Kit - Stock to 375 HP, Trutech 4L60E Overhaul Kit Level 1 - Street/Strip up to 400 HP, 4L60E Transmission - Custom Towing
Off Road Overhaul Kit? Or what ever you think.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:47 AM

Received 423 Likes on 322 Posts

When I started learning about rebuilding the 4l60E a few years ago, Jeff at Trutech Trans was incredibly helpful explaining the basics to me over the phone. He knows me by name (Ted Green) now; he even has agreed to make my recommended 8-friction 3/4 clutch setup available; he personally prefers a 7-friction setup with a bit more clearance.
What I am saying, is just give him a call; he is easy to reach and not intimidating. He will patiently and gladly answer your questions and you will learn a lot. At the end, he will put a custom kit together for you.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:20 AM
Teching In

I have talked 2 him a few times showed him some pics, just need to get a parts list together now. Seems like a knowledgeable good guy. Corvette servo assembly got here yesterday.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 522 Likes on 403 Posts

The instructions in the older basic TransGo Shift kits would have you cut slots into the 2nd servo piston spring retainer. I think the instructions in the new kits no longer have you grind the slots. As mrvedit stated it was to prevent hydraulic lock.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by bbond105
The instructions in the older basic TransGo Shift kits would have you cut slots into the 2nd servo piston spring retainer. I think the instructions in the new kits no longer have you grind the slots. As mrvedit stated it was to prevent hydraulic lock.
Thanks for the explanation; interesting and useful to know.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Ya thanks for that didnt know if something actually broke and caused that or some one did that. I got the rebuild kit from trutech. Still waiting on the parts to get here ordered them over a week ago. Got a seal and gasket set, new stater, 3-4 clutch pack w/ pressure plate and backing plate, new drum and wide band, 3 accumulator check ball. When the parts get here iam going to give it a go. Looking forward to it hope every thing goes well.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Parts got here today going to start working on the trans.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by bluntman
Parts got here today going to start working on the trans.
Good luck. Let us know if you need help.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Well got most everything rebuilt. Got to the servo and it wasnt going in as easy as it should have. Got to thinking and looking "The inner servo housing" was in the very back hammered stuck in the case...(from previous guy) After about 2 hrs i finally got it out. Iam no expert but id say that was my problem 2 start with. Only thing is Where the guy that rebuilt it the first time hammered that in there looks like there might be a crack in the case. Cant tell if its a crack or just a ruff spot in the trans its not indented its dented outward. Think it could be where the trans case was molded or something.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:54 PM

Glad you got the rest of the servo out. Yes, that likely was your problem to start with.
You will have to determine if the case is cracked; I don't think that is really repairable. If it cracked, it is not that hard to find another one for under $100. A local trans shop might even have one.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:09 AM
Teching In

ill look at again tomorrow. Thinking iam going to finish putting it together at this point ant give it a shot in the truck. might be a few days before i get it fully installed though.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:00 AM
Teching In

Made a mistake. Never took off the torque converter when installing trans. Dont think i got it seated all the way. Jacked up the back all the gears worked. When hitting the breaks the truck would die. Think i got it on both sets of splines but didnt get it seated on the rotor. Pulled it started storming. Going to put it back in tue or wed. I hope that was the problem. Torque converter inside splines only turn one way, shaft splines look ok as well. Any other ideas?
Old 06-29-2014, 08:11 AM

Sorry to say, but yes leaving the converter bolted to the flexplate and then bolting up the trans is a serious mistake. The probability that the pump rotor was properly aligned is very low. Typically bolting up the trans with a not-fully installed converter will ruin the pump.
You told me by phone that with the wheels in the air the trans seemed to shift, but the engine died when you hit the brakes. The latter indicates the TCC is engaged at all speeds. I was surprised that the trans would shift!

I therefore wonder if perhaps the pump rotor engaged while the engine was running, but not before it bent the pump housing in a way that is forcing fluid to the TCC.

I think you need to remove the trans and remove the pump to look for damage. A used but good pump is available for around $100. If there is loose metal, you really should disassemble and clean the entire trans. The
converter may need replacement too, or at least sending it to a converter shop to be opened and cleaned.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Went trew the pump everything was fine. Put the torque converter on the trans, installed it. Seems to be working shifts trew all gears.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 522 Likes on 403 Posts

Man you were lucky!!! You are the first one I know to get away with leaving the T/C on the flexplete and not break anything. I’m glad it all worked out for you.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bbond105
Man you were lucky!!! You are the first one I know to get away with leaving the T/C on the flexplete and not break anything. I’m glad it all worked out for you.
Same here. That's some crazy luck! I had my Suburbans TQ converter slip forward during install once and I didn't notice. Ended up replacing the fwd pump the next day....
Old 07-04-2014, 08:52 PM
Teching In

ya. idk if it helped but i had the back wheels jacked up when i was trying to go threw the gears thought it might lessen the load a little ya know. So far so good. First rebuild on my part.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:33 PM

Great that you lucked out. Also glad you took the pump out to check everything. I wouldn't normally suggest that to someone that had mis-installed their converter, but since you rebuilt the trans, I figured it was something you could handle.
And congrats on rebuilding your own trans!
Old 07-06-2014, 05:39 AM
Teching In

Thanks Everyone for all your help.

Quick Reply: 4l60e