Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e 3-2 downshift flare

Old 09-22-2014, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l60e 3-2 downshift flare

I got my trans put back together after blowing out the snap ring teeth on the input drum. Now its in my RCSB Sierra. I used Dana's road race 3-4 clutch setup and his modified transgo shift kit. I'm running a vigilante 3000 rpm stall. It shifts very well through all of the gears at part throttle and at WOT but it flares up during a 3-2 downshift. It makes it feel like a very hard shift. It never feels like its slipping, just RPMs rise and it bangs into 2nd. I thought it was trying to go into 1st the first couple of time it did it. Obviously this could be any number of things but is it most likely a valve issue? What can I do to try to address this before it gets worse? I assume that during the shift the 3-4 clutches are releasing faster than the band is engaging. My servo travel is right at .075" and the clutch clearance is right around .030". I hope I can fix the downshift without changing the upshift since the upshift is so good.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:24 PM

Received 385 Likes on 294 Posts

As you know, the valve body has a 3-2 downshift solenoid which controls the speed of the downshift based on throttle position. It is a PWM solenoid controlled by the PCM. There is also a 3-2 downshift valve which has a spring. As I understand it, the balance between the spring and the 3-2 solenoid duty-cycle control the speed of the downshift. The HD2 kit simply replaces the stock spring with a "solid" spring to force maximum 3-2 downshifts. This is Step 1 on Page 2 of the HD2 instructions.
So, do you have the HD2 spring installed here?
Beyond that, you should ask Dana for assistance.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, I didn't know that there was a solenoid just for the 3-2 shift and had no idea that there was pwm control of any of the shift speeds. I guess I'm still very ignorant about how this thing works. I did install the 3-2 valve spring. I wonder if I can control the pulse width in the tune. I need to look into that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4l60e 3-2 downshift flare