Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E Troubles

I am having some issues with 4L60E in my 2000 Silverado. I'll try to keep this long story short. Bought a truck with from a guy who said it had a bad transmission. He bought a good one but it was 2wd. Instead of swapping rear tail housings he had someone swap the guts of them and this is where I stand.

It is not displaying the gear indicator properly and there are no CEL codes. Reverse, Neutral and 1st are the only positions that display properly but the truck doesn't move.

I am guessing part of it is the nsbu switch but am thinking something else is going on as well maybe valve body. Any help would be great.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:01 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Not displaying the gear indicator properly is almost certainly a problem with the shift cable.
The switch on the side of the trans only implements the Park/Neutral safety switch and reverse lights. It has NO effect on the operation of the trans.

If the car does not move with the trans in Reverse or Drive, a likely problem is that the trans pump is not producing fluid pressure. With the engine off, check the ATF fluid level on the dipstick. Then start the car and check the ATF fluid leve again. If the trans pump is running, the level will drop by about one inch. If not, either the converter is not bolted up or the pump is bad. Before removing the trans, the more definitive way to check the pump is to disconnect the lower cooler lines and check if it pumps out fluid.

Quick Reply: 4L60E Troubles