Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shift kit question

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default shift kit question

I have a question I bought a tranny off a good running car. And thinking of dropping it in as is with no rebuilt to save some money. Im thinking of doing minor stuff like adding a corvette servo and a truck pan. Im also thinking about a shift kit but unsure if that is recommended without a rebuild.
Im looking into this kit https://www.700r4l60e.com/store/prod...&cat=64&page=1
With the plate that way I dont have to risk drilling wrong.
Whats your guys opinion on installing the shift kit or should I just leave it with the corvette servo and pan. And save for a rebuild with more upgrades later on. Oh and btw its also gonna have a 3600 vig stall if it does any difference.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Fbodies came with the vette servo. I'd run as is, after a filter refresh with a good cooler and good tune and you should be good to go.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:51 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

As 01ssreda4 suggests, install a good cooler, replace the filter and flush the fluid. You will need to get a tune for the high stall converter.
If your engine is much more than stock, then you should consider that shift kit. Getting a complete customized package with instructions and a pre-drilled separator plate is a good way to go. Get the Sonnax HD 2-3 shift valve option too.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oh ok thank you for that info I didnt know that. Yeah gonna be a mild build 6.0. Any special shift kit that would be best? Also as far as cooler I keep seeing to run only external cooler and others say to run both factory and exteranl. Which way is best?
Old 12-11-2014, 08:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Read up in coolers, lots of options. Seeing as the stock setup warms the fluid too, whether you keep it or not depends on what part of the country you live in. In the south, I don't recommend it. The transgo HD2 has been the go to kit for the 4l60 for a long time. To fully install it you must disassemble the trans, and at that point you might as well opt for a rebuild. Some trans shops won't want to do that level of disassembly without at least a basic rebuild. My stock trans was sold working to a buddy and has to have 150k+ miles on it by now. Still shifts perfect and gets races often. Keeping the trans cool, maintained, and tuned right will keep it healthy. Do the shift kit when it craps out.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh ok thanks for the pointers ima just buy a deeper pan with a good cooler. And a gauge to keep an eye on the temperature. I live down southcali so its always warm down here.

Quick Reply: shift kit question